Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
Skills: Structural Engineering, Environmental Engineer
Education: High School/Secondary
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
About the opportunity
To meet our growing UK business needs and future development aspirations we are looking for a RIVER ENGINEER experienced in the development of outline and detailed designs for flood risk solutions based in our Edinburgh office, working within a matrix engineering environment reporting to project specific Project Manager(s) to undertake work on the above EA Framework. In addition, we are designer on a number of key FRM projects throughout Scotland, working for a number of local authority Clients and our team provides river engineering support to large Highways and Rail Schemes (for example A96, A9, BEAR, HRE, HS2, & EWWA).
The successful person will become part of a respected and ambitious company with excellent career prospects and international opportunities.
Primary Job Responsibilities
You will be contributing to the design of projects for a variety of public & private Client organisations and potentially leading design development. You will also work with other disciplines within the group to deliver projects for major infrastructure clients. Responsibilities include:
- Design team leadership including coordinating outline and detailed design of flood risk management and river engineering solutions
- Design of-:
- Earthwork embankments and conveyance channels
- Reinforced concrete structures and foundations
- Steelwork structures including piling
- Flow control structures
- Flood gates and demountable defences
- Surface water drainage
- Natural Flood Management solutions
- Technical specifications
- Hydraulic and structural calculations
- Designers Health & Safety and Public Safety Risk Assessments
- Management of drawing production
- Liaising with clients, stakeholders, hydraulic modellers, architects and other design team members
- Technical and business case reporting
- Budget, programme and contract management
- Tender development and assessment
- Civil Engineering degree with (or about to achieve) Chartered status (MICE, CIWEM or similar)
- Experience in the development and leadership of outline and detailed design of structural and non-structural solutions for flood risk management and other applications
- Experience of Safety in Design and Designers responsibilities under CDM
- Experience of coordination of multi-disciplinary teams in the development of design solutions
- Proven ability to work as part of a team, liaising directly with clients, stakeholders and other design
- Construction related experience either as a supervisor or through visiting design office support role;
- Knowledge of industry standard design, modelling and drawing production packages, including Building Information Management systems
- Knowledge of hydraulic modelling packages used for flood risk management option appraisal;
- Preparation of Project Appraisal Reports to Flood and Coastal Erosion Risk Management (FCERM) guidance processes
- Experience of developing client relationships to develop new opportunities.
- Flexibility in terms of travel (UK and international)
We clear the way for inventive thinking, so you have the support, means and space to deliver the boldest solutions for the extraordinary and every day. Jacobs. A world where you can.
We're invested in you and your success. Our values stand on a foundation of safety, integrity, inclusion and diversity. We put people at the heart of our business and we truly believe that by supporting one another through our culture of caring, we all succeed. We value positive mental health and a sense of belonging for all employees.
We aim to make inclusion and diversity core attributes of our identity, embedded in all our employment and business practices in all locations. We know that if we are inclusive, we're more connected, and if we are diverse, we're more creative.
Jacobs partners with VERCIDA to help us attract and retain diverse talent. For greater online accessibility please visit www.vercida.co.uk to view and access our roles.
As a Disability Confident employer, we will interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy. We welcome applications from candidates who are seeking flexible working and from those who may not meet all the listed requirements for a role.
If you have any queries regarding the application process, please contact the team here .
Successful candidates will be asked to complete a Baseline Personnel Security Standard Pre-Employment check and will be required to undergo various checks including: Identity, Right to Work; Employment/Education History and Criminal Record. If you are unable to meet this and any associated criteria, then your employment may be delayed or rejected.