Skills: Operations Management
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Darlington, England, United Kingdom
Wood Process and Energy are seeking an experienced Operations Manager with a strong background in the Pharmaceutical and Life Sciences sector to join and enhance our existing team in developing and delivering work for projects and framework engagements within the Life Sciences Sector.
- Accountable for operational delivery performance and supporting the development of strategy and delivering related business plans.
- Accountable for safety, technical and financial performance, assuming responsibility for EBIT generation in line with as-sold values and demonstrating clear safety leadership ; achieving monthly and annual targets and embedding company values.
- Provide sector-specific guidance and direction to management and support teams in the day to day management of delivery, ensuring appropriate controls and governance are in place, working to the highest possible standards of integrity, safety, quality and operational excellence.Produce solutions to complex strategic, contractual, technical, commercial, operational and personnel related challenges which impact on customer service and performance.
- Deliver growth in Life Sciences through close collaboration with Business Development. Aid Operations Director in delivery of business plan, and drive sales, bid and tender activity.
- Ensure that the organisation develops responsive, dependable and cost effective services, servicing target markets, collaborating across business units and business groupings, and actively leveraging Wood solutions to address customer needs, in support of continued growth
- Foster and enhance customer relationships with open, honest and effective communications.
- Actively identifies, pursues and develop opportunities for innovation.
- Project-level financial accountability including:
- Revenue delivery
- Margin and overhead management
- Budget and forecast determination and attainment
- Risk and opportunity reviews
- Cost controls, accounts payable/billing and cash collection
- Maintain operational integrity and excellence, ensuring robust governance, subcontractor management, and performance reporting.
- Ownership of HSSEA matters across Life Sciences
- Ensures robust Management of Change and builds a learning culture
- Is a champion and role model for ethical behaviour.
- Responsive to customer needs whilst ensuring the Company operates with the utmost integrity, in line with Code of Conduct, Company values and all applicable laws and policies.
- Facilitate open and effective communication to optimise delivery of objectives, maximise team performance and achieve continuous performance improvement.
- Generate team spirit, enthusiasm and passion and pursue the eradication of unproductive practices and negative mind-sets to create a vibrant culture of positive thinking and attitudes.
- Overall accountability for effective recruitment, selection and retention of talent within assigned area
- Identify and support development of talent, effective performance and capability management of teams and direct reports, dealing with under-performance in a prompt, professional manner
Skills / Qualifications
- Degree qualification in Engineering, Scientific Discipline, or related technical field OR degree qualified in a commercial/business discipline with significant experience in a technical organisation.
- Recognised and accredited management qualification desirable
Knowledge, skills and experience:
- Extensive track record of successful operational and strategic delivery within Life Sciences sector.
- Experience of customer facing communication and a proven seller
- Strong network of relevant contacts and existing relationships within the EMEA Life Sciences arena
- Demonstrable project delivery accountability.
- Expertise in GMP and Regulatory resquirements.
- Proven experience in qualification and validation of pharmaceutical facilities, laboratories and associated infrastructure.
- Demonstrable knowledge around the differences between primary (API) and secondary pharmaceutical design. Specific experience in the following areas:
- API synthesis
- Fill finish and packaging
- R&D labs and pilot plants
- Consumer health products
- Distribution / logistics centres
- Medical devices and diagnostics
- Knowledge and expertise in Pharmaceutical Primary unit operations, including
- Chemical synthesis
- Membrane tangential filtration (TFF)
- Liquid/Liquid extraction
- Product Transfer
- Knowledge and expertise in Biotechnology/Secondary unit operations, including
- Cell culture
- Microbial fermentation
- Transgenic techniques
- Continuous Processing
- Buffer and Media Preparation
- CIP/SIP Systems
- Lab design
- Clinical Trial Administration
- Understanding of management systems
- Knowledge of current HSSEA and other legislation as applicable in the industry
- Ability to identify and develop Subject Matter Experts to cover specialised functions in the sector.
- Safety focused with an uncompromising approach to risk management. Places the welfare of both internal and customer employees at the top of the agenda.
- Strong influencer, negotiator and mediator with flexibilty to respond and adapt to change
- Decisive, with ability to make decisions and follow through, ensuring learnings are captured
- Exceptional communicator both verbally and written
- Strong team builder, listens to needs of team and energise people towards optimum performance
- Pragmatic in approach with a strong commercial bias and ability to balance commerciality with operational excellence
- Customer focused - develops sincere and open relationships with customers, current and potential; listens to customer needs and constantly striving to exceed expectations and add value
- Entrepreneurial approach - ability to identify opportunities and flexible to respond in agile ways to changing customer needs
- A motivated self starter, with critical thinking and problem solving abilities, who can self-direct when required, able to use own initiative and have autonomy to make appropriate decisions but also know when escalation is required.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.