The GIS Technician is responsible for assisting in daily team duties primarily focused on geographic information system (GIS) data creation and maintenance to support US Gas Operations with GIS capabilities ranging from routine to moderately difficult technical duties. The GIS Technician has knowledge of gas Transmission & Storage fundamental systems, experience with GIS Software, and safe work practices. The GIS Technician often works with senior members of the I&OS team and various Stakeholders, including Engineering and Operations, to assist in projects and other various tasks providing support and basic GIS functions. Candidate must have a professional work ethic and attitude, and performs their job tasks under general direct supervision.
Skilled in the utilization of GIS, mapping and database technologies required to meet business and team objectives. Work experience with ESRI ArcGIS suite of applications, cartographic experience and basic analytical skills. Work assigned involves proficiency in the use of basic to standard GIS software, tools and utilities to carry out assignments ranging from basic to routine and is performed following specific and detailed instructions as to methods, procedures and guidelines. Responsibilities
Qualifications and Education
- Follows established procedures to enter data and populate the GIS database tables and attributes.
- Reviews and makes routine interpretations of data sources and uses basic GIS software functions and workflows to enter, edit and update GIS spatial data, including points, lines and polygons, and attribute data into databases or layers, following standard procedures.
- Ability to research a variety of source documents to verify data accuracy and completeness.
- Following established and detailed procedures, enters parameters and generates standard GIS products including maps, shape files, graphics, tables and reports to meet specific customer requirements; researches and responds to customer requests for information.
- Knowledge of GPS data collection and standards and ability to import into GIS.
- Supports senior team members in client meetings; assists in facilitating small group project and client work sessions; provides daily support for client needs.
- May convert spatial data from one coordinate system to another; may convert maps into standard non-GIS formats such as pdf.
- Remains current on information related to and assures compliance with regulations and operational plans.
- Initiates and identifies inefficiencies and suggests improvements to processes and methods; provides new ideas on procedures and savings.
- Adjusts readily to multiple demands, shifting priorities and unexpected events in a fast paced and challenging environment.
- Helps foster effective communication with Manager, among the team and with customers.
- Suggests process improvements to further enhance safety, efficiency, and customer satisfaction and demonstrates strong teamwork.
- An Associate's degree or Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university with a major in Geographic Information Systems, Geography, or a related technical field is preferred; equivalent work experience will be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Must have 1-2 years of ESRI GIS work experience.
- Preference for candidates with experience and process knowledge in the utility industries.
- Proficient in ESRI GIS cartographic and presentation skills.
- Excellent communications skills: oral and written.
- Demonstrates analytical skills both in how GIS technology is applied and the information it provides.
- Works with a professional attitude and maintains an organized and safety conscious approach in all aspects of the job.
- Ability to work independently, as needed, and as part of a team.
- Familiar with business processes, engineering concepts, change management concepts, quality and performance management concepts.
- Must be proficient in the utilization of Microsoft Office suite (Excel, Word, Access, PowerPoint), relational databases (Access, Oracle), Internet technologies (Google, Yahoo, Microsoft Edge), Directory Utilities (Windows Explorer), Windows, and email (Outlook). MicroStation skills a plus.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks concurrently and effectively.
- Some travel and field work may be required to meet business objectives.
With over 90 years' combined experience, NES Fircroft (NES) is proud to be the world's leading engineering staffing provider spanning the Oil & Gas, Power & Renewables, Infrastructure, Life Sciences, Mining, Automotive and Chemicals sectors worldwide.With more than 100 offices in 45 countries, we are able to provide our clients with the engineering and technical expertise they need, wherever and whenever it is needed. We offer contractors far more than a traditional recruitment service, supporting with everything from securing visas and work permits, to providing market-leading benefits packages and accommodation, ensuring they are safely and compliantly able to support our clients.