Skills: Mechanical Engineering
Experience: 10 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
Wood is currently recruiting for a Senior Mechanical Engineer for our Mining & Minerals office in Bryanston.
Main Purpose of Role
- T o coordinate and supervise engineering and design functions within a project / study context.
- P r o v i de coaching and guidance to less experienced staff ( engineers and designers to increase technical competence, as well as knowledge of systems and procedures.
- Undertake Technical reviews/audits to ensure that designs are in accordance with project / study requirements and company objectives and are produced in a timely and cost effective manner
- Using technical knowledge and problem solving skills to assist senior and mechanical engineers with the designs on studies and medium /large projects.
- To work in a safe manner, complying with and actively contributing to the Wood Health, Safety and Environmental HSE policies, manuals and procedures. At all times considering the health, safety and welfare of fellow workers, visitors, clients, community and the environment.
Role Specific Responsibilities
- A cc ountable that the quality and content of deliverables of the mechanical design discipline are in line with the needs of the customer and regulatory authorities and r esponsible for engineering content, discipline design drawings and technical documents within a project / study
- Responsible for production and/or review of engineering deliverables including models, drawings, calculations, specifications, reports, evaluations etc and preparation of technical specifications, contract specifications, design criteria and other documents required by the project / study
- Input to capital estimates including quantity calculations and review and set man-hour budgets for engineering and drafting and recommend engagement of additional manning as required
- Monitor the progress and performance of project discipline teams. Give input and provide feedback and support where necessary
- O v ersee and manage design scope changes
- P r ovide solutions to engineering problems
- P r ovide feedback to the Project Engineering Manager on design progress budget and schedule
- Reviewing and approving Supplier data
- P erform site inspections, functionality testing and commissioning documentation
- P r ovide technical support to the onsite construction teams, projects department and estimating department
- A nalyse feedback from fabricators and construction personnel to improve performance
- P r ovide technical and commercial direction to engineers in relation to design quality, design schedules and design budgets
- Review feasibility studies documentation and estimates.
- A ss i s t engineering management to assess the suitability of staff and identify the key resources for specific projects/studies
- Drive professional development of direct reports and other less experienced staff members
- Ensure designs produced are optimal in terms of maintainability, serviceability, equipment operating cost and safe operation
- Ensure design engineering standards are maintained and adhered to on projects
- Provide technical design guidance to Project staff on various aspects of design
- R eview equipment tenders and produce technical adjudications /recommendations.
- R eview vendor documentation for compliance with project / study specifications.
- Attend factory acceptance tests and provide input to vendor's test documentation
- Assist with plant installation and commissionin
- Liaise with client to ensure that design is in accordance with agreed requirements.
- C onduct regular design group meetings within a project / study context
- Provide timely reports regarding all discussions held and progress made. Ensure all correspondence are recorded.
- Allocate work and provide assistance to discipline engineers and designers on projects / studies
- Input into progress reports, including listing achievements and highlighting issues as required.
- Work closely with other consultants and other disciplines and Project/Study Managers to ensure that client's objectives are met in a timely manner.
Skills / Qualifications
- BSc, BEng or B.Tech or National Diploma
- ECSA registered
Competencies, Skills & Experience
- Minimum of 10 to 15 years Mechanical design experience in the mining and minerals processing area with at least 10 years in the mining and minerals processing area in the design office and the field
- Well-developed computer skills and knowledge of word ,databases spreadsheets and discipline related application software.
- Technical Competence - in terms of core engineering theory from first principles and ability to extend theory to new and complex equipment
Experience in the following areas;
- Ability to problem-solve effectively
- Superior technical engineering knowledge of Slurry pumping, Plate-work design Materials Handling , Crushing and Milling
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Strong analytical, literacy and numerical skills
- Well-developed computer skills and knowledge of databases, spreadsheets and engineering programs.
- Ability to effectively work in a team
- Effective leadership skills
- Ability to delegate effectively
- Understanding of South African and common International standards and regulatory authority requirements in the mining and minerals processing sector
- Knowledge of specific extractive metallurgy process/chemical engineering unit operations and equipment.
- Site experience - construction and commissioning
- Mechanical Package Experience
- Good commercial awareness/risk management skills.
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- A pro-active attitude.
- Personal integrity and trustworthiness.
- A common sense approach to everyday life.
- A willingness to treat all people with respect, integrity and consistency.
- High levels of initiative and "get up and go" to manage own work flow to meet objectives.
- A capacity for persistence and resilience and patience in a sometimes challenging environment.
- An appreciation of the value of team work and willingness to work as part of a team, providing support for other team members as required.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.