Skills: Architect, Construction Manager, Construction Superintendent
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Tucker, Georgia, United States
Wood is seeking a Director of Preconstruction, Renewables with Self-perform (EPC) Wind, Solar and Battery storage project experience, delivering the Engineering, Procurement, and Construction. The Director of Preconstruction Services is responsible for the leadership and successful completion of the preconstruction phase of projects to meet the cost and operational objectives for planning, estimating, establishing project controls and schedules and bidding. Projects are valued at $50-$500 million. The Director provides executive leadership of the pre-construction team; and will be able to share his or her passion for and dedication to getting the job done.
This is a highly visible role, and an opportune time to join Wood. Our Renewables business is targeted for growth and has built a strong presence in the market. The ideal candidate will be self-motivated and have a solid and varied preonstruction background. An individual with a logical, thorough approach to estimation, combined with strong leadership and communication skills will thrive in this environment.
Location: Ideally, seated in Tucker, GA, but for the right candidate, this position can be seated out of any of Wood's US offices.
- Develop high-performance teams through leadership, supervision, training, coaching, and mentoring
- Lead all pre-construction efforts, including proposal development, budgeting, planning, estimating, constructability reviews, value engineering, bidding, scheduling and cost controls for major construction and environmental remediation projects
- Provide leadership of risk evaluation, contract negotiations, fee and pricing decisions
- Monitor and assist in design progress for compliance with defined cost, schedule and quality criteria, provide and update design/construction project schedules
- Coordinate resolution of constructability issues during design and coordinate pricing of alternative design concepts
- Participate in development of the construction and logistics planning
- Prepare bid packages for subcontractors and analysis of proposals from subcontractors and suppliers including scope defining proposals from vendors and/or subcontractors
- Prepare level one construction schedule and cash flow deliverables as required
- Monitor design scope for changes affecting budget and or schedule; identifies cause, advises construction team of identified changes.
- Develop and maintain long-lasting relationships with customers, the design community, and subcontractors to lay the foundation for successful project execution and future business development opportunities
- Ensure that the turnover of a project from Preconstruction and estimating to operations is done properly with appropriate hand off meetings and all information is transferred to the operations team.
- Support Business Development to secure new work for the business unit
- Ensure strict adherence to ethics and compliance requirements for all projects
- Bachelor's Degree in Construction Management, Engineering, Architecture or equivalent; Master's Degree in Construction Management, Engineering or equivalent is a plus; relevant experience in lieu of required education may be considered
- Must have 5+ years of Solar, Wind, Battery storage EPC work related experience.
- Requires a minimum of 3 years of construction project management experience.
- Successful completion of multiple project assignments in a significant role, at least one of which must include a $50M or greater sized project
- Extensive prior experience managing traditional preconstruction services construction projects, to include budget control, estimating, value engineering, constructability review, front end documents, bidding, procurement and preconstruction schedule management
- Experience working with Project Management staff during all phases of design and construction to ensure estimates meet projects requirements
- Experience preparing bid packages for subcontractors and analysis of proposals from subcontractors and suppliers including scope defining proposals from vendors and/or subcontractors
- Demonstrated ability to motivate and lead pre-construction teams to success
- Excellent background in building system knowledge to provide or manage conceptual estimating, and be able to evaluate building systems (foundations, structural, building envelope) and finishes
- Experience with integrated project management systems, including LEAN Construction and Supply Chain Management, Building Information Modeling (BIM) and new and evolving construction technologies
- Ability to understand and interpret technically complex contract documents, drawings, specifications, scopes of work and project schedule
- Proven ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing at the executive level; Must have advanced presentation skills
- Skilled at negotiating and developing relationships with owners and subcontractors
Skills / Qualifications
- BS in Engineering, Construction Management, or other related discipline preferred
- Minimum of 10 years estimating experience
- Ability to lead and produce estimates at all phases of document completion
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel
- Proficient in the use of on-screen take-off software (currently use On Center On-Screen Take-Off)
- Proficient in the use of electronic estimating software (currently use Sage Timberline)
- Strong interpersonal, creative solution and problem-solving skills, and the ability to multi-task
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Willing and available to travel on an as needed basis
- Must be US Citizen, or authorized to work lawfully in the US, without sponsorship from Wood
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.