Skills: Floorhand / Roughneck
Experience: 2 + Years
Education: Some College
Location: Canonsburg, Pennsylvania, United States
Nabors Industries owns and operates one of the world's largest land-based drilling rig fleet and is a provider of offshore drilling rigs in the United States and multiple international markets. Nabors also provides directional drilling services, performance tools, and innovative technologies for its own rig fleet and those of third parties. Leveraging our advanced drilling automation capabilities, Nabors' highly skilled workforce continues to set new standards for operational excellence and transform our industry.
Nabors is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants and prohibiting discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, religion, age, color, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This applies to all terms and conditions of employment including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. To learn more about our Fair Employment practices, please refer to the Nabors Code of Conduct.
The job of the Floorhand is to safely and efficiently perform all manual labor tasks on the drilling floor and B.O.P. area. The Floorhand works under the direction/supervision of the Driller, but reports directly to the Rig Manager.
Key Relevant Tasks:
- Operating of the tongs and slips to connect and dis-connect drill pipe, tubulars, casing and drill bits or tools
- Performing all maintenance of the equipment and physical space of the drill floor
- Rig up and down procedures, nipple up and down and care of the B.O.P. system
- Monitoring and operation of the shakers
- Assisting the Derrickhand within the mud pit, mud pump and chemical sack rooms
- Performing housekeeping activities on the drill floor including washing, chipping and painting
- Assist the Motorman with offloading / back loading supplies, equipment, pipe, etc
- When trained, relieve the Derrickhand in the derrick
- Attention span to stay alert and attentive for up to 12 hour tour while performing sometimes repetitive and monotonous tasks
- Able to works 7 or 14 days on and 7 or 14 days off, including holidays, weekends and or days and nights.
- Able to receive verbal and written instructions
- Must be able to stand and walk for a minimum of 4 hours at any one time, including standing and walking on steel decking as well as gravel, board roads and mud, snow and ice
- Must be able to repetitively lift and carry items weighing upwards of 60 lbs up and down stairs, repetitively swing 20 lbs sledge hammers as well as torque on wrenches / open / close valves requiring upwards of 160 lbs of torque
- Repetitively be able to lift / carry 100 lbs sacks, pull drill slips with another employee(200 + lbs), latch / unlatch tongs as well as rack back drill pipe continually throughout the 12 hour tour
- Able to bend, stoop, kneel, twist, and crawl throughout the tour work shift while wearing Personal Protective Equipment at all times
- Listen for unusual noises that signify equipment and machinery problems
- Other duties as required by the Driller, Derrickhand or Rig Manager
• Ability to perform essential functions of this position with or without reasonable accommodations
• Ability to wear respiratory protective devices
• Ability to successfully completion of Floorhand Training at the NDUSA Training
• Must have reliable transportation to and from the rig
• High school diploma or equivalent
• 7 months experience as a Floorhand for another drilling company
Today, Nabors owns and operates the world’s largest land-based drilling rig fleet and is a leading provider of offshore platform workover and drilling rigs in the United States and numerous international markets. With operations in 28 countries, Nabors also provides directional drilling services, performance tools and innovative technologies throughout many of the most significant oil and gas markets. Leveraging our advanced drilling automation capabilities, Nabors’ highly skilled workforce continues to set new standards for operational excellence and transform our industry.
As of April 16, 2018, Nabors’ assets include:
- 407 land drilling rigs
- 31 offshore platform rigs