Skills: Environmental Engineer
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood has an immediate, permanent employment opportunity for both an Intermediate and a Senior Wildlife Biologist in Calgary, AB. The successful candidates will join our wildlife team working on a broad range of resource development projects in western and northern Canada.
The successful candidates will work within the wildlife group under the supervision of the Natural Sciences Lead. Primary responsibilities will be to provide support on a wide variety of projects as delegated by the Natural Sciences Lead. This will involve the following:
- Conducting general and species-specific wildlife surveys, including for Species at Risk
- Work in remote locations for 1 to 2 week periods
- Designing field and monitoring programs
- Mentoring junior staff
- Data entry and analysis
- Writing wildlife assessments and other technical reports
- Proposal writing and budget maintenance
Skills / Qualifications
The positions requires that the successful candidates have a solid technical and/or academic background. Key requirements include:
- Education: B.Sc. in appropriate discipline and/or advanced degree
- Strong technical writing skills
- Strong statistical analysis skills
- Strong wildlife identification skills, especially for birds (visual and auditory)
- Be able to recognize wildlife behavior and habitats
- A good understanding of the regulatory requirements for wildlife assessments at both the provincial and federal level
- Field experience with wildlife surveys
- Construction monitoring experience
- Willingness to travel outside of Calgary, work flexible hours including field work under a variety of conditions, and shift work.
Preference will be given to candidates with the following:
- Experienced in the analysis of large datasets;
- Experience with data analysis software (i.e., R);
- Experience setting-up, managing, and conducting querries on databases such as Access; and
- Experience managing a wildlife team and coordinating large scale field programs.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.