United Kingdom - Devon, ExeterJob Summary
Are you a Mechanical Engineer with strong analytical skills and experience in technical delivery and management of water engineering projects. We have an exciting career role in our established Water teams nationally and would be open to varying levels depending on your experience.
You will work alongside our project managers throughout the project design and delivery cycle, making technical decisions in various design stages of water and wastewater utility projects to include carrying out feasibility studies, reference designs, detailed designs, and preparing reports and technical specifications. You may be asked to mentor, oversee or manage design staff which will call for knowledge of crucial design processes and for excellent communication skills.
Our Water team has delivered some of the most high-profile projects in the UK, so your projects and clients will be varied and interesting. Examples of our current projects and clients:
- Wessex Water - AECOM has been appointed on several AMP7 frameworks, including the Capital Delivery framework.
- Thames Water - AECOM has positions across all scales of delivery from Thames Tideway Tunnel to 'runway 2' infra and non-infra schemes across the Thames region.
- Severn Trent Water - AECOM has been appointed on major schemes Lot 1 of Severn Trent Water's new Design Services Framework for AMP7. Our portfolio of projects in building rapidly.
You will join our technical discipline team and wider technical practice network, enabling you to build your knowledge, skills and career with like-minded engineers globally.
As a Mechanical Engineer, you will work closely with our Water and other supply discipline teams nationwide. You will be expected to deliver a high calibre of technical quality, contribute to bids, and interface with clients and collaborators in design and planning. You will seek innovation and trial new methods, being inquisitive by nature.
You will see delivery through from conception to handover. You will be responsible for the design of mechanical installations typically including municipal water and wastewater pumping stations, ventilation systems, penstocks and valves, odour control systems, pipework. Some of these projects will be large-scale and prestigious cv-builders. You will also be required to contribute to and attend industry events and conferences.
This role will include visits to site to carry out site surveys and the support of liaisons with clients, government authorities, contractors, suppliers. You will be tasked with delivering to agreed budget, programme and quality along with supporting the preparation of project budget & programme.
- Senior technical resource may serve as technical advisor for team
- Provides specialized technical input to studies and design for staff's specific area of expertise.
- Develops study and design procedures to facilitate high quality cost effective work by others.
- Participates in interdisciplinary review of project deliverables.
- Develops construction cost estimates and estimates of technical efforts for projects.
- Uses expertise in all steps of completing discipline component of PS&E package.
- Performs quality control review of design calculations or drawings.
- Prepares technical specification sections.
- Provides input to the development of engineering budget and schedule to meet requirements.
- A degree or equivalent in mechanical engineering
- Membership of/Working toward a relevant professional chartered institute; for example, IMechE
- Able to take full responsibility for producing, checking and approving engineering reports and designs
- Ability to coordinate, liaise and engage with clients and key stakeholders
- Provide mentoring, guidance and technical advice to support and supervise junior staff
- Lead and mentor a small team of engineers and technicians with line manager responsibilities
- Significant experience in managing the technical delivery of large scale water engineering projects with multi-disciplinary knowledge
Your benefits will include:
- Water and wastewater treatment project experience across feasibility, outline, detailed design, construction support extremely desirable
- Experience using a 3D Design tool and other proprietary software products
- Project manage
Helping our employees achieve a healthy work-life balance is important to us. If you join AECOM, as well as receiving a competitive salary, you'll also have the opportunity to explore flexible working arrangements. Core benefits include 25 days' annual leave, company pension scheme, private medical insurance, life assurance and one paid annual professional institution membership fee. You can also choose from a wide range of flexible benefits to suit your lifestyle.
You'll also be able to give back to communities with up to two paid CSR days each year. Through our charity, The AECOM Foundation, you can volunteer to support children in developing countries. And if you're a member of the Reserve Forces you'll receive an additional 15 days paid leave for training commitments.What We Offer
When you join AECOM, you become part of a company that is pioneering the future. Our teams around the world are involved in some of the most cutting-edge and innovative projects and programs of our time, addressing the big challenges of today and shaping the built environment for generations to come. We ensure a workplace that encourages growth, flexibility and creativity, as well as a company culture that champions inclusion, diversity and overall employee well-being through programs supported by company leadership. Our core values define who we are, how we act and what we aspire to, which comes down to not only delivering a better world, but working to "make amazing happen" in each neighborhood, community and city we touch. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person's potential, and we'll help you reach yours.Job Category
Engineering - MechanicalBusiness Line
Design and Consulting Services Group (DCS)Country
United KingdomPosition Status
UK - Basingstoke, UK - Birmingham - Colmore Plaza, UK - Bristol - Portwall Place, UK - Cardiff, UK - Chesterfield, UK - Croydon - Bedford Park, UK - Leeds, UK - St. AlbansClearance Required
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.