Skills: Geotechnical Engineer
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Masters Degree
Location: Oakville, Ontario, Canada
From the office, on site, or in the lab, our geotechnical engineers and materials specialists provide life cycle solutions in the most complex ground conditions across projects large and small. We combine geoscience, geotechnical engineering and materials expertise to understand complex ground conditions and achieve the best built solutions for our clients and projects.
We are hiring a Geotechnical Engineer for our Geotechnical Engineering group which provides geotechnical services to our clients, ranging from field exploration programs and laboratory testing to the design and construction management of complex geotechnical structures.
This position offers the opportunity to work on engineering and geotechnical projects in a multi-discipline project team environment. Supporting our Ontario team from our Oakville office, you will be participating in engineering analysis, geotechnical engineering designs and construction solutions for our clients. This immediate need requires the incumbent to have strong technical design skills with the communication and organizational skills to support projects.
- Perform and assist with numerical modelling and analyses using various software programs such as Flac, Geostudio, Shake, etc.
- Interpretation of site investigation (field and laboratory tests) data
- Preparation of engineering designs, detailed reports, plans, assessments and studies
- Oversee/direct junior engineer/EITs on various project tasks
- Opportunity to collaborate on projects throughout Canada and Internationally
- Project consulting and engineering in the geotechnical field for mining and infrastructure projects
- An ability to interface with other related disciplines - hydrology, hydrogeology, geochemistry, permitting, etc.
Skills / Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in Civil / Geotechnical Engineering required; Master's degree in Geotechnical Engineering considered an asset
- Current registration or eligibility to register as a P.Eng. in Ontario
- Minimum five years of experience in geotechnical engineering in the mining and infrastructure industry
- Proficient in Numerical modelling with finite element or finite difference software programs for static and dynamic analyses of tailings / hydro dams and soil-structure interactions
- Proficient in seepage, stability and liquefaction analysis for various slopes and dams
- Desire for self-learning and a commitment to technical excellence
- You have oral communication (English) and active listening skills to explain complex procedures and techniques, to help ensure information is understood
- You have written communication skills (English) to accurately document information and prepare reports
- You are able to draw on your own experience, knowledge, and expertise to assist the team in providing the best response in a critical or urgent situation
- You are able to interpret data from a variety of sources, apply technical excellence, and assist in resolving problems that arise on projects
- You are able to develop and maintain relationships, with diverse internal and external clients and respond in a professional manner
- You are able to set work priorities, monitor progress and quality towards deliverables
- You are well organized, have the ability to manage and prioritize several assignments at one time
- Valid Driver's License
- Able to travel to project sites across Canada and abroad
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.