Skills: Design Engineer
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Wood is currently seeking a Civil EIT / Designer (Junior) to join our Mining & Minerals team in Oakville, Ontario who will apply knowledge of civil design and drafting principles and practices to the organization's products and services.
The designer will plan, schedule and conduct broad and/or technically complex engineering assignments requiring judgment, independent evaluation, selection and significant adaptation and deviation from standard techniques and procedures.
- Work closely with engineers, technicians, technologists and project managers in preparation of document and drawing packages, report figures and calculations
- Prepare cost-effective site layouts for industrial and mining facilities including services and utilities, based on project specifications and requirements
- Process the topographic data (from LiDAR, satellite, ground surveys, etc.) for use on the projects, and georeference the survey data
- Provide civil design and drafting support for utility and industrial facilities and services, including buried and overland piping, pumping stations, access roadways, and spill containment systems
- Prepare drawings for site development and earthworks including site preparation, general grading, final grading and surface drainage, ditches, ponds, roads, embankments, and rail spurs using AutoCAD, MicroStation and Civil 3D programs, in accordance with project CAD standards
- Analyze design issues and recommend corrective actions
- Prepare material take-offs
- Review and coordinate project documents prior to issue for scope and presentation against project standards and specifications
- Respond to information requests from site and completing project documentation including as-builts, calculations and return of data to the client
- Perform design changes and improvements according to changing project demands
Skills / Qualifications
- Diploma or Engineering in Civil Engineering Design Technology
- 0 to 2 years of relevant design experience relating to industrial facilities, mining, infrastructure, commercial building infrastructure and utilities and specifically earthworks and underground experience
- Knowledge of standard drawings for mining and infrastructure projects including site development, roadways, railways, buried and overland piping, storm drainage and retention / polishing ponds
- Experience in using AutoCAD, Civil 3D and design/drafting software
- Bentley Inroads and MicroStation software experience would be considered an asset.
- Understanding various coordinate systems and geodetic elevation references
- Experience with processing and modifying the topographic data for the project needs, setting up the project survey reference points, and establishing the coordinate systems for the projects
- Drafting and design experience within a consulting engineering environment
- Familiarity with storm water management systems including sewer design, runoff calculations, the sizing of ditches, culverts, and ponds, and the design of sediment control facilities
- Authorization to lawfully work in Canada without sponsorship from Wood is required
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.