Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
Skills: PR / Corporate Communications
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
Wood is currently recruiting for a Corporate Communications & External Affairs Manager to work in our Aberdeen office.
In recent years, Wood has taken significant steps to reposition as a consulting and engineering company working across energy and the built environment. We are a purpose - driven company focused on unlocking solutions to the world's most critical challenges including energy transition, climate change, industry 4.0, and the need for more sustainable and resilient infrastructure.
The role is focused on shaping our position on these key issues and promoting our insight across a range of external audiences including media, investors, government, clients, industry forums and other stakeholders. It also involves protecting the brand's reputation through forward planning and sharp communications.
- Be the first point of contact in managing and dealing with media enquiries at a corporate level and disseminate requests to other colleagues as appropriate
- Maintain strong and meaningful relationships with local, national, and international media
- Proactively identify issues where Wood can offer unique insight and work with leaders and relevant BU teams to help develop our position / content
- Take complex, technical topics and turn them into compelling content; exceptional written and
verbal communications skills; proofreading and editing capability
- Drive engagement with key officials in Scottish & UK governments to showcase Wood's expertise and insight on issues relating to the energy transition and sustainable infrastructure
- Ensure all media and government engagement activities are handled effectively and help to raise the profile of Wood's brand, our expertise, and our leaders' profiles
- Support on set - piece financial communications content and ensure consistent messages are shared with media and financial markets
- Manage reputational risk and issues that could impact the business
- Form part of emergency response community supporting UKCS business
- Work with VP to build a toolbox of training modules / masterclasses around media engagement, message development, crisis communications etc. and roll out across the team
Skills / Qualifications
- Degree (or equivalent) in Communications, Journalism, Marketing, or other related discipline
Knowledge, skills, and experience:
- Significant experience in an external communications role - experience in the energy or infrastructure sectors or within a B2B environment particularly welcome
- Impeccable writing skills, creativity, and a strong eye for detail
- Content development, creative writing, concept development and examples of published work
- Experience building relationships with local media, government, and other external bodies
- Ability to translate strategy / complex material into clear communication plans and messaging
- Emergency media response experience and confidence in handling media enquiries in a crisis
- Energy and proactivity - able to set agenda and be forward thinking
- Ability to work under pressure and deliver to deadlines
- Knowledge and interest in current affairs (media, politics, industry trends)
- Strong people skills - can build relationships in a virtual environment / matrix organization
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.