Skills: Project Management, Supply Chain Management
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States
About the Role
BP has centralized the North America Rail team primarily based in Chicago, IL. This team handles freight, rail car leasing, subleasing, storage and rail car maintenance for multiple BP entities in North America. BP's rail activities over the last few years have continued to grow with many entities exploring business development opportunities, BP refineries increasing production, Retail growing sites and supply chains requiring more equipment.
The Rail Equipment Specialist is part of an experienced commercial team that supports rail car requirements for all BP Businesses in the Americas. BP has approximately 9,000 rail cars in its portfolio with most cars secured under full-service lease contracts. The Rail Equipment Specialist is accountable for ensuring regulatory compliance, leading the execution of the annual rail car mandatory testing plan, and ensuring the business has an appropriate number of cars to deliver!
The Rail Equipment team owns the relationship management accountabilities with primary lessors including securing /sharing insightful market intelligence with BP Businesses on rail car availability, lead times and lease rates and negotiating leases for each BP Business.
The Rail Equipment Specialist provides technical assistance and negotiation support to the Rail Commercial Leads for primary and secondary lease market engagements. The Rail Equipment Specialist is instrumental in the fleet sizing and leads the effort to make the fleet sizing recommendation and completing Decision Support Packages (DSPs) for specific fleets by closely collaborating with the Rail Schedulers, Commercial Analyst and Business Decision Makers. This role also participates in developing strategies for certain car types, such as general purpose and pressure cars, to enable the optimization of these car types across multiple BP Businesses.
Other Key Responsibilities:
- Manage and/or support the rail fleets of our Accountability Agreement partners to deliver service requirements spelled out in the Accountability Agreements.
- Work closely with HSSE group to efficiently and expeditiously investigate and resolve issues and incidents.
- Manage FRA's One-Time Movement Authorization (OTMA) submissions.
- Support efforts and conduct analysis for acquisition, removal or swapping (between BP fleets) of rail cars.
- Assist in the management of the tank/hopper car maintenance activities performed by 3rd party providers.
- Assist in the management of key 3rd Parties including Bourque, Intellitrans and Alltranstek.
- Develop annual rail equipment budget including leases and maintenance.
- Ensure full compliance with Association of American Railroad (AAR), Department of Transportation (DOT) and Federal Railroad Association (FRA) requirements.
- Provides technical mentorship to stakeholders, colleagues and/or functions.
- Bachelor's Degree required
- Ability to learn quickly
- At least 5 years of experience in Oil & Gas or similar industry
- 5-7 years of rail equipment experience with a track record of high delivery
- Tank car fleet management experience with both general purpose and pressure cars
- Strong working knowledge related to the code of federal regulations, AAR/FRA, and tank car specific rules and regulations
Considering Joining bp?
At bp, we support our people to learn and grow in a diverse and exciting environment. We believe that our team is strengthened by diversity. bp is committed to encouraging an inclusive environment in which everyone is respected and treated fairly. There are many aspects of our employees' lives that are meaningful, so we offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits can include flexible working options, a generous paid parental leave policy, excellent retirement benefits, and more
N/AIf you are selected for a position in the United States, your employment will be contingent upon submission to and successful completion of a post-offer/pre-placement drug test(and alcohol screening/medical examination if required by the role) as well as pre-placement verification of the information and qualifications provided during the selection process. The drug screen requires a hair test for which BP must be able to obtain a sufficient hair sample for analysis (~4 cm/1 ½" scalp, or > 2 cm/¾" body - arms & armpits/legs/chest)
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, BP is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard for race, color, gender, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, military status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other protected group status. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us or have one of your representatives contact us at BPUSApplicationAssis@bp.com; or by telephone at 281.366.1999.
Read the Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law poster and the poster supplement - for more information about Equal Employment Opportunities. (Spanish version)
BP is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. View our policy statement