Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Skills: Supply & Distribution
Experience: 8 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Wood currently has an exciting opportunity for an Substation Engineer, Senior, Transmission & Distribution. Reporting to the Stations Electrical Engineering Manager, this position is located in our Vancouver, B.C. office. This role involves the design of high voltage substation projects from conception to construction. If you have a successful track record and thrive on challenges in a fast paced environment, this is the opportunity for you.
- Leading and performing engineering design on 12 kV to 500 kV overhead and underground transmission and substation projects from conceptual design stage through construction
- Develop one-line & phasing diagrams, layout plans, sections, ground grid layouts, grounding details, conduit & cable routing plans and details
- Prepare and review drawing lists, engineering documents, specifications, and inspection and testing plans/procedures
- Writing and planning project scope, proposals, estimates, change notices, budgets and similar documents
- Managing engineering costs and maintaining schedules by monitoring project progress, coordinating activities, and resolving problems
- Review design documentation with the Owner's Engineer to ensure the design satisfies the project's requirements
- Review of vendor documents against specifications
- Prepare material take offs for all electrical equipment, as well as ordering materials through the procurement group
- Coordinate construction and commissioning activities with utility clients and subcontractors
- Respond to information requests from construction sites and complete project documentation, including as-builts, calculations and returning data to clients
- Travel to site and liaising with internal groups, external contractors and clients
- Enhance and maintain relationships with internal groups as well as external contractors and clients
- Lead projects from conception through construction and commissioning, including mentoring junior engineers and designers
- Fulfilling the duties of Professional Record for work within field of practice
- Ensuring the latest safe practices and methods are integrated into the design
- Working within assigned budgets and schedules.
Skills / Qualifications
- Electrical Engineering Degree from a recognized university along with a Canadian Professional Engineering Designation (P.Eng.) or the ability to register as a Professional Engineer with EGBC
- BC Hydro design experience is considered an asset
- Licensed Professional Engineer (PE) in the United States is considered an asset
- 8-12 years of substation electrical experience in a Transmission & Distribution Utility or EPC organization designing substations
- Experience interfacing design with other substation engineering disciplines such structural and protection & control
- Proven field experience with outage planning, construction sequencing and commissioning is considered an asset
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong understanding of regulatory codes and standards, including CSA, NESC and ANSI / IEEE.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.