Skills: Mechanical Engineering, Noise & Vibration Control
Experience: 3 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
Wood is currently seeking a Vibartion Engineer to join to join our Consulting Group in Houston, TX . In this role, the Vibration Engineer will support our domestic clients through studies and computational analysis to optimize and maintain their assets. Our team of consultants are industry leaders in solving the world's most complex vibration problems and design challenges within the Energy Industries.
This is a technically challenging role, involving solving complex vibration, fatigue, transients, or integrity related problems and offers great opportunity for a motivated candidate to join a team of industry experts. This is a permanent position with high potential for growth and career advancement.
- This is a consulting role combining elements of business development, customer relationship building and associated office based analysis.
- Perform design and field studies (analysis) for new or existing facilities to identify and resolve vibration issues on piping and structural equipment.
- Study problems resulting from flow induced vibration within various piping and process systems. This involves pipework vibrations screening using Energy Institute methods, field troubleshooting and field visual inspection.
- Occasional field based troubleshooting for vibration and strain measurements using data acquisition and signal processing systems to assist in identifying sources of failures. The field portion is expected to be between 0% - 20% in Americas but may include opportunities worldwide if required.
- The job may expand to include more detailed finite element analysis: piping stress analysis, piping modal analysis, flow-induced (Strouhal) pulsations, water hammer (transient) analysis, fatigue analysis, acoustic induced vibration, small bore branch connection evaluation and others
- Display effective consultancy skills within the team in the office and on site as required. These include client engagement, problem solving, self starter, enthusiasm, effective time and project management, planning, good communications, excellent technical delivery and an enthusiastic outlook
- Prepare timely and accurate technical reports to professional standards
- The work will involve commercial software such as ANSYS software, CAESAR II, AutoCad, Solidworks, AFT Impulse and others. The computer modelling will also involve Wood VDN's proprietary modelling software
- Implement and adhere to Wood VDN EH&S policy at all work sites
- Establish and maintain strong working relationships with customers and colleagues.
Skills / Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering preferred; other disciplines with relevant (vibration analysis) experience will be considered.
- Minimum of 3 years industry experience in Engineering consulting firm; industry experience in vibration analysis highly desirable
- Proficient in standard windows software and also have experience using ANSYS, CAESAR II, AFT Impulse, and SolidWorks
- Ability to read P&ID, PFD, HMB, and piping isometrics is an asset, as is experience with process and hydraulic calculations
- Physically capable and willing to execute site work, which will require carrying up to 50 pounds of measurement equipment, and potentially working on elevated platforms, scaffolding or other work areas
- Excellent communication skills (written and spoken) with the ability to speak directly to the issue and to adapt to work environment and customers' communication style
- Strong time management and organizational skills, with the desire to go the extra mile
- Valid US passport, with the eligibility to travel to Calgary, AB for training as necessary (up to 6 week intervals)
- Must be US citizen or authorized to work lawfully in the US, without sponsorship from Wood.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.