Skills: Project Management
Experience: 10 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Portland, Maine, United States
Wood Environment & Infrastructure Solutions is currently seeking an Assistant Project Manager to join our North Atlantic Operations team and will reside in either the Portland, Maine, Rocky Hill, Connecticut or Bayside, New York office. The successful candidate will act as an assistant project manager for commercial and/or federal clients primarily in the northeast region of the US. This position willsupport environmental assessment and remedial investigation projects and responsibilities to include proposal and work plan development, field operations and staff management, project delivery, and report preparation. The North Atlantic Operations is a multi-disciplinary science/engineering/architecture team of 130+ staff that offers the opportunity to work on technically challenging projects for a wide range of clients throughout the US.
Why join our Portland Wood Team? We are a close-knit team of dedicated professionals working to find solutions for our diverse customer base! Our knowledgeable and skilled Architects, Engineers, & Scientists, Remediation Engineers, Chemists, Data Visualization Specialists are what make us known in the Industry and drive our recognition for delivering high quality and technical excellence. We realize this success is the result of the efforts and abilities of our people. With such large scope and brand recognition, our employees have the opportunity to work on complex and diverse projects. Our North Atlantic Operations team takes pride in maintaining a small family-like environment, while also having the structure, resources and opportunities of a large international organization. Our Portland office is right in the heart of Downtown Portland; a diverse and lively city with an outstanding restaurant scene and lots to do if you're an outdoor enthusiast or love the arts - something for everyone! What is considered the hub of Wood's Northeast Region, we are looking to grow our team in supporting our current workload as well as advance our 2020 strategic planning and vision - please consider joining us! (Note: Wood will consider employment for this position from locations remote to Portland, Maine)
Key Responsibilities :
- Managing and coordinating project teams, including ensuring the technical quality of deliverables
- Responsible for managing field team in collection of environmental data including organizing field work, assigning tasks, verifying work quality/scope, and working with staff to complete assignments
- Adhere to and implement corporate safety policies and procedures, site safety standards, and permit requirements
- Responsible for data management processes as part of report compilation
- Authoring site and remedial investigation reports
- Apply standard practices and techniques to developing site conditions
- Take initiative to complete tasks within a greater team environment
- Collaboration and participation in technical discussions with team members
- Assist with development of both technical approach and compiling client proposal costs
- Mentoring staff
- Will require occasional travel to project sites, primarily located in the Northeast US
Operational Responsibilities :
- Assists the Project Manager in pre-project task planning to determine schedules and operational phases; shares information and seeks to troubleshoot issue in advance of effect on the project. Assists in keeping management apprised of situations creating potential delays or risk management issues.
- Participates in progress meetings, providing input as needed and communicating outcomes to the Project Manager.
- Provides estimates to appropriate parties within deadline for submittal.
- Establishes the project framework and coding within project management software to accurately track and allocate costs; reviews coded invoices to ensure accuracy and makes changes as necessary.
- Assists in coordinating resources for the project, including, acquiring required permits, obtaining safety materials, and procuring materials and supplies.
- Provides directions, schedules, and updates to subcontractors, performs quality checks, creates punch lists, and monitors completion of project specifications.
- Monitors costs, reviewing cost analysis reports and communicating variances or budgetary concerns to Project Manager. Communicates updates on purchases and cost of completion to customer.
- Identifies, documents, and tracks changes in scope of work and/or change orders, obtains approvals, and ensures that information needed for change orders is current and accurate.
- Directs project document control process, ensures that appropriate parties possess all documentation necessary on a timely basis.
- Monitors project and subcontractor personnel routinely to establish presence as a resource and to ensure proper compliance with safety standards and regulations. Assists with documentation and investigation of accidents and in collecting safety plans of action from project foremen.
- Reviews and approves invoices, codes invoices for proper entry into cost control system, and performs system entry as needed. Resolves coding errors.
- Prepares billings to customers, identifies potential complications in receiving timely payment and addresses such concerns prior to submission to customer.
- Documents project progress via photographs on a regular basis and maintains photo archives of project milestones from beginning to completion
Work Environment :
- Work will occasionally be required at remote sites, around construction equipment, drilling rigs, and environmental contamination
- Overtime and overnight stays will be required on an as needed basis
- Fieldwork may occasionally require working with hazardous materials and in hazardous conditions
- Will be required to follow all applicable health and safety procedures
Skills / Qualifications
Role Requirements :
- Up to 20% of time required to visit project sites, including sites remote from the office
- BS /BA or MS in Geology, Hydrogeology, Environmental Science or Engineering, or related technical field
- 10-15 years experience in the environmental consulting field, which would include 2+ years of project management experience.
- Good communication, report writing, and presentation skills in English
- Superior time management, planning, and ability to interact with clients
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well with a team
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Flexibility to work outside of normal business hours as needed
- Experience in developing relationships with regulatory agencies, stakeholders, and clients
- Experience with CERCLA sites and government contracts
- Ability and willingness to travel to project sites mostly in the northeast region
- Must pass drug test, background check, and must have a satisfactory driving record in accordance with the Company's driving policy
Additional Certifications and Skills Preferred :
- 40-hour OSHA HAZWOPER training in accordance with 29CFR 1910.120
Physical Demands :
Position will field work and travel to project sites may require:
- Ability to remain on feet for extended periods of time either stationary or walking
- Field activities that may require working in unfavorable weather conditions, including heat and cold
- Completion of annual or bi-annual employment physical, as required
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.