Skills: Environmental, Safety & Training, HSE Manager / Advisor, Waste Management
Experience: 2 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
Wood Resilient Environments (Wood) has an opportunity for a junior to intermediate level Hazardous Materials Technician / Professional to provide hazardous materials assessment and abatement / remediation services to our clients. If you are interested in a career in occupational health and safety, and in particular, have a strong interest in hazardous materials, like travel and field work, and thrive in a fast-paced environment, this opportunity is for you.
Reporting to the Burnaby Occupational Hygiene and Safety Group Manager, your responsibilities will include but won't necessarily be limited to:
- Visually assessing buildings for various hazardous materials including asbestos, lead, PCBs, mercury components, ozone-depleting substances, and suspect visible mould growth and collecting bulk samples of suspect hazardous materials for laboratory analysis.
- Preparing hazardous materials building materials assessment reports.
- Assisting senior hazardous materials specialists is developing hazardous materials management plans, safe work procedures, abatement specifications, and exposure control plans.
- Conducting hazardous materials condition assessments.
- Conducting hazardous material abatement/remediation inspections and air monitoring and preparing daily reports / project completion reports.
- Assisting with completion of indoor air quality and other occupational hygiene projects, under the supervision and direction of a Certified Industrial Hygienist.
In addition to the core responsibilities above, job duties may extend to assisting with / eventually conducting Phase 1 environmental assessments and performing environmental monitoring on construction projects.
Skills / Qualifications
- Occupational Health and Safety or Environmental diploma / certificate / degree an asset
- 2 - 7 years of experience in health and safety / hazardous materials / environmental assessments / monitoring an asset
- Hazardous materials training (e.g. AHERA Building Inspector Course, Alberta Asbestos Worker Course, Hazardous Materials Technician Course, Lead Inspector and Risk Assessor Course, Mould Assessment and Remediation Course, etc.) an asset
- Experience in the consulting industry an asset
- Experience working at industrial sites, including utilities, and asset
- Personal vehicle and driver's license
- Strong computer skills (e.g., Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Enthusiasm and commitment to technical excellence
- Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skill
- Ability to adapt and work in a team environment as well as independently
- Flexibility with respect to remote work and travel.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.