Skills: Geologist, Environmental Engineer
Experience: 2 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Chelmsford, Massachusetts, United States
Wood Environment & Infrastructure Solutions is seeking a Geologist or Environmental Scientist for our Chelmsford, Massachusetts office, which is part of Wood's North Central Area. The North Central Area also has locations in New York, Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin and is a multi-disciplinary science/engineering/architecture team of 200 staff that offers the opportunity to work on technically challenging projects for a wide range of clients throughout the Northeast and US. The position will initially be primarily field work, with the potential to grow into a position that requires project planning and report writing. An ideal candidate would be a self-starter, open to learn, adaptable to change, have a strong work ethic and thrives in a dynamic environment with multiple priorities.
- Perform environmental sampling (e.g., surface water, groundwater, soil, sediment, soil vapor, indoor air) and oversee subcontractors in the field (e.g., drillers).
- Complete detailed field notes and other forms of documentation.
- Complete small- to medium-scale environmental site assessments.
- Work in a team environment and communicate effectively with all levels of staff.
- Communicate with clients or on-site personnel effectively and professionally.
- Assist and coordinate project planning as needed.
Skills / Qualifications
Skills / Qualifications
- B.S in geology or other related field such as environmental science or natural resources.
- 2 - 5 years of experience with environmental site assessments
- Hands on knowledge on the use of field equipment.
- Proficient in MS Office applications (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Flexible to work outside normal business hours and overtime as needed.
- Ability to apply analytical / scientific thinking to define and solve problems.
- Ability to work well in a team environment with a willingness to follow detailed instructions and learn new skills.
- Strong technical writing and communications skills with staff, management, clients and regulators.
- Experience in site investigations and Phase I ESAs is desirable.
- OSHA 40-hour HAZWOPER certification is a plus.
- Regulatory experience in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, or New York is a plus.
- Must pass drug test, background check and must have a satisfactory driving record in accordance with the company's driving (MVR) policy.
- Have and maintain a valid driver's license.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
- The position requires work at project sites, around construction equipment, drilling rigs, and environmental contamination.
- Overtime and overnight stays may be required, as needed.
- Will be required to follow all health and safety procedures associated with work environment.
- Field activities may require working in unfavorable weather conditions, including heat and cold.
- Ability to remain on feet for extended periods of time either stationary or walking.
- Ability to lift 50 pounds.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.