Skills: Electrical Engineering, Instrument & Controls Engineer
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Ware, England, United Kingdom
Wood Pharma and Life Sciences are recruiting for an Electrical & Instrument Superintendent.
This is a permanent staff role based on a client site, starting in April 2021
Living local to or within a commutable distance to Ware, Hertfordshire is essential, as is e xperience of working on large scale EPC projects within in the Pharmaceutical Industry.
- Act as an Ambassador of the company in all aspects of HSES & IR.
- In conjunction with Contractors' Superintendents undertake a weekly HSSE inspection of allocated areas.
- Ensure that contractors understand and implement the HSES plan, including permit to work, tool box talks, visible and relevant safety signs, safety surveillance, installation and maintenance of firefighting equipment, firewatchers, audible emergency warning signal, wind socks, muster areas, and emergency evacuation drills.
- Agree method statements, risk assessments and job safety analysis. Ensure that all work is carried out in accordance with agreed method statements.
- Ensure all hazardous activities and those with potential risk to material or personnel, have an agreed method statement, and risk assessment prior to commencement of work.
- Maintain supervisory attendance at all contractor toolbox talks and safety meetings. Encourage contractor safety incentive schemes and promote all Wood processes, Client and contractors team building efforts.
- Ensure Contractor, Client and Operator personnel understand and fully operate the project permit to work system including tag/lock-out requirements, and that only contractor authorized personnel operate the permit to work system.
- Proactively undertake and promote the use of behavioral and incentivized HSE work programs, and campaigns, e.g. 'HEART'
- Agree, communicate and implement authority levels for both Wood and construction contractor personnel for all electrical and instrumentation switching and energization activities. Register of personnel authorizations to be maintained.
- Ensure all quality control checks and tests are instigated, with records maintained and available as required for cabling, lighting, earthing, cable tray and racking, trace heating, equipment installation and testing, instrument installation and testing etc., all in accordance with contractors' agreed ITP, method statements and project specifications. Where applicable supervise calibration activities.
- Ensure that contractors carry out the receipt, storage, checking, test and calibration of instruments to comply with the project specifications and contract schedule.
- Ensure contractors carry out all excavations and trenching in a logical fashion, minimizing site disruption and that they provide safety barriers, signage and trench crossings in accordance with the Wood HSES plan.
- Ensure requirements for cable trench excavation, backfill and interfaces are correctly understood by the contractors and executed efficiently in accordance with the project specifications
- Ensure all cable laying, cable spacing, cover, radii, cable identification and protection complies with the project specifications and all necessary quality control checks and records are carried out in accordance with the quality plan and available for inclusion in handover documentation.
- Ensure all notification, safety signs and barriers advising power on/live systems are provided by the contractors and in place.
- Ensure contractors carry out toolbox talks on electrical safety and permit to work requirements.
- Ensure that contractors and commissioning personnel carry out, witness and record all instrument and electrical check requirements in accordance with the agreed commissioning schedule and all record documentation is available on a timely basis to facilitate system and equipment handovers and start up
- Ensure efficient use of specialist vendor representatives, arranging contractor support and Client witness as required in accordance with the commissioning handover and start-up schedule
- Supervise and coordinate the activities of construction supervisors and engineers within assigned areas. Provide daily supervisory surveillance checks and records, ensuring that contractors' management and supervision are providing safe working conditions and permitting procedures, protective equipment, experienced/qualified supervision and manpower, with reliable, well maintained equipment to execute the contracted works as per contract schedule and targets
- Routinely study, check, review and validate the discipline scope of work against the appropriate Contract Requisition to ensure the Contractors correctly interpret and comply with the latest revision AFC drawings, quantities, and specifications
- Ensure proper control of changes by issuing FI's for all changes, reviewing TQ's to ensure responses are appropriate and practical, and reviewing ARN's to ensure correct use of construction resources
- In conjunction with other discipline superintendents ensure contractor interfaces are both coordinated and planned to allow effective take-over by follow-on contractors, and efficient access to work areas and job faces
- Utilize weekly coordination meetings with other discipline superintendents to provide logical progress and target completions as per the contract schedule and daily work plan. Ensure that area/handover documentation is available, and relevant
- In conjunction with other discipline superintendents ensure contractor interfaces are both coordinated and planned to provide logical progress and target completions as per the contract schedule and daily work plan
- Ensure that contractors survey and accept their work areas and commence contracted works within schedule time requirements, mobilizing supervision, materials and equipment in practical logical sequences
- Ensure that contractors working on site have temporary facilities, equipment and hand tools etc. that are fully capable of supporting contractors site needs in the execution of contracted works to meet schedule completions
- Agree the extent and location of lay-down and workshop areas, access routes and material receipt, preservation and storage procedures with contractors' management and supervision
- Ensure practical security and protection of the works and that all contractors' provisions for temporary lighting, transport, vehicles, plant and equipment, hand tools are in adequate supply and totally fit for purpose
- Ensure that contractors are working in the required work areas, locations, elevations and sequence of work by providing discipline scheduled completion details to enable efficient planning of all activities. With the contractors planning engineers, develop detailed daily and weekly work plans to facilitate project schedule completions
- Ensure supervisors/inspectors carry out the witness, inspection and surveillance checks in accordance with contractor discipline Inspection and Test Plans, and the Wood site quality plan.
- Ensure contractors Quality Control checks and tests are properly recorded and are in compliance with project specifications, AFC drawings, and method statements
- Ensure all approved modifications to Works are recorded on red-lined 'as-built' drawings, and are verified as correct by field personnel
- Review and communicate to Wood staff and contractors the commissioning procedural execution and inspection criteria for all pre-commissioning activities
- Review method statements for pre-commissioning and commissioning activities to ensure workforce co-ordination and integration has been considered and all the project Quality and HSE requirements have been complied with
- Proactively assess Contractors' against agreed schedules and milestones, and challenge/support as necessary Contractor ability to achieve required progress. Inform the Wood General Superintendent of shortfalls and anomalies.
- In conjunction with each contractor, develop a schedule of tie-in, interface and terminal points
- Ensure all quality control checks and tests are instigated, with records maintained and available as required for underground metallic and non-metallic checks, pre and posttest checks, hydrostatic testing, flushing and drying, safety relief valve installation etc., all in accordance with contractors' agreed ITP, method statements and project specifications. Where applicable supervise test equipment calibration
- Identify the hand over sequence on a system by system, area by area basis, all scheduled to produce logically planned work completions for commissioning and start-up requirements
Skills / Qualifications
- Demonstrable experience as an Electrical & Instrument Superintendent
- Experience of working on a Pharmaceutical site
- Experience of GMP
- Technically qualified / time served trades person with trade registrations / vocational qualifications.
- UK wide EPC or EPCm experience
- Knowledge of local labour market
- Demonstrable experience of managing direct labour
- Working knowledge of relevant legislation, codes and standards with the ability to manage contractors
- Computer literate (MS Office components)
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.