Essential Experience and Job Requirements:
- Masters with minimum 2+ years OR PhD degree from the following fields: biochemistry, enzymology, molecular biology, biology, synthetic biology, chemistry or related fields. Experience must be proven by a track record of publications.
- A high level of technical knowledge and skills in a broad range of biochemistry and/or enzymology-related fields including biochemical pathways, protein engineering, enzyme mechanism/kinetics, complex assay development, and protein expression, purification, and characterization
- Ability to provide expert advice and innovation to develop solutions to complex technical issues
- Design and execute experiments; interpret data
- Motivated, possess excellent interpersonal skills, communicate well within and between teams and be able to work under tight deadlines
- Participate in project strategy development and implementation, including developing intellectual property
- Ability to prioritize responsibilities, show flexibility and work effectively in a multi-tasking, fast pace, and matrix environment
- Strong organizational skills, able to handle multiple projects at the same time
- Adept at formulating new SOP's as well as reliable and accurate execution of tasks following SOPs outlined by others
- Experience in immobilized enzymes, high throughput screening and automation assay development
- Experience in analytical chemistry techniques such as HPLC, LC-MS, or GC-MS
- Experience working with academic or 3rd-party partners
- Knowledge of bioinformatics and enzyme computational design
- Knowledge of carbohydrate biochemical pathways
- Understanding of the scale-up from lab scale to pilot scale
Advanced Bio & Physical Sciences for Low Carbon Energy (AB&PS) develops strategic and business solutions for new low carbon technologies and products. A recently created team, AB&PS is the central research organisation for biosciences, chemistry, chemical engineering science, materials sciences, biofuels, green hydrogen/electrochemistry and the science of carbon capture. This team also hosts bp's capability in computational modelling of biosciences and chemistry.
The bp Biosciences Center (BSC) in San Diego is the hub for bp's biosciences R&D capability. The BSC works to identify current opportunities and assess future opportunities across the range of bp's businesses, supporting bp's ambition to reach net zero by 2050 or sooner. The Center stays closely connected to bp businesses and external technologies, and ensures the expertise required to progress opportunities through the early stages of technology development.
will report to the synthetic biology lead. The initial focus of research activities will be to support the biosciences programs requiring biochemistry & bio-catalysis expertise. The successful candidate will lead efforts for enzyme discovery, characterization and engineering, as well as efforts for assay development and method automation. The individual will join a group of interactive scientists and should have strong communication skills and outstanding inter-disciplinary problem solving and critical thinking skills, with a strong interest in the pursuit of scientific discovery. This position requires hands on work at the bench with a recent experience of delivering experimental results. Key Accountabilities:
- Serve as subject matter expert for protein biochemistry and enzymology
- Design and conduct experiments that deliver needed results for the research portfolio of the Biosciences Center
- Analytical and critical thinking skills required
- Attention to detail and trouble-shooting skills
- Ability to work in a multi-disciplinary environment, both independently and within a project team
- Promote safety initiatives and champions compliance with bp's Code of Conduct.
If you are selected for a position in the United States, your employment will be contingent upon submission to and successful completion of a post-offer/pre-placement drug test(and alcohol screening/medical examination if required by the role) as well as pre-placement verification of the information and qualifications provided during the selection process. The drug screen requires a hair test for which BP must be able to obtain a sufficient hair sample for analysis (~4 cm/1 ½" scalp, or > 2 cm/¾" body - arms & armpits/legs/chest)
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, BP is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard for race, color, gender, religion, national origin, disability, veteran status, military status, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or any other protected group status. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us or have one of your representatives contact us at BPUSApplicationAssis@bp.com
; or by telephone at 281.366.1999.
Read the Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law poster
and the poster supplement
- for more information about Equal Employment Opportunities. (Spanish version
BP is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer. View our policy statement