A leading main contractor with a UK turnover of circa £3.6bn and worldwide turnover of £60bn. This sector of the business has strong track record in delivering high quality schemes on time and to budget. The project consists of approximately 500 new build student units over several new low rise student accommodation blocks. The refurbishment of 700 student units and the construction of a new precast 500 space carpark. The business will manage the scheme for the next 50 years, as such the business has a long-term interest.This is a prestigious high profile Education project with a construction value of £80m spanning over two years. We also have a strong pipeline of future works. ENGIE are recruiting for a Construction Manager to be based in Birmingham. This is a permanent full-time role working Monday to Friday. On offer is a competitive salary, and benefits package.
The role will have operational responsibility for the performance of the New Build delivery incorporating functions of Operations, Design, with close links to commercial performance. You will effectively, plan, manage and control Projects ensuring adherence to the following; Health and safety, Budgeted expense, Quality, Company policies and procedures, Contract documentation. Main Responsibilities/Duties Include:
- Work closely with the pre-construction team to bring the project to financial close.
- As the Construction Manager you will lead a team of Project Managers, a Logistics team and you will report directly to the Project Director who will have a visiting role.
- You will have the overall responsibility for the day to day running of the project working closely with the SHEQ, design, planning and Commercial department.
- Set and maintain the highest level of SHEQ requirements on the project working closely with our Health & Safety team and supply chain.
- We pride ourselves on delivering a quality product and take great care in ensuring this is reflected on how the project needs to be run.
- Our approach is a collaborative one. We work very closely with our clients and stakeholders to ensure a high level of communication is maintained.
- Liaison with the client, consultants, contract administrator, head office, local authority representatives, etc and other key stakeholders
- To be responsible for the accurate / timely completion of site-based documentation
- Attendance at project and company related meetings, compile site reports as necessary and required
- Be responsible for your safety and others around you
- Comply with all the roles and responsibilities as set out within the SHEQ management system
- To ensure, along with the Resident Liaison Officer, all relevant resident and public complaints are resolved efficiently
Required Qualifications, Skills or Experience:
- Working in a live University Campus, private residences and vibration sensitive buildings
- All areas of the site in progress simultaneously
- High level of logistic planning
- Ensuring Lifting plans and equipment inspections are maintained
- The Management of Temporary Works
- The management of a project specific quality management plan including but not limited to ensuring that ITP's are received from supply chain partners and quality inspections are completed by the business operations team
- Able to use a tablet-based quality assurance / inspection platform (Fieldview)
- Be I.T literate and proficient in the use of MS Office suite
- Proficient in the use of 4p - cloud-based storage platform
- In house audits / inspections
- The Management of clean up notices and NCR's
- Compliance with specification and governance.
- Supply Chain Management. Pre-construction, Delivery.
- Compliance with materials / workmanship schedules
- Subcontractor code of conduct
- Achieving a score of no less than 44 in the Considerate Constructors Scheme
- Maintaining the highest Professional Standards
- Management of defects
- Maintain and update Construction Phase Health & Safety plan as works proceed
- Management of the logistics team maintaining site facilities; welfare, toilets, offices, compound area etc.
- Assist in the management of project specific preliminaries
- Co-ordinate the Sub-Contractors as appropriate
- Preparation / assistance with the site progress reports
- Safe storage and co-ordination of materials and monitoring of waste
- To mentor and train Assistant Site Manager and junior members of staff
- Proven track record in delivering £50M+ residential schemes.
- Ideally from a tier one background.
- A good leader of teams
- Preferential for a Degree/HNC/HND or professional qualification such as MCIOB, MAPM
- Up to date relevant knowledge of Health and Safety legislation
- Ability to competently operate MS office (Word & Excel), Fieldview and viewpoint.
- Current and Valid UK driving licence
- Confident/ strong character
- Flexible & adaptable
- Good verbal and written communicator
- Ability to motivate staff and sub-contractors
- Working within diverse groups
- Excellent organisational skills
- ffectively manage time in order to meet deadlines
- Professional attitude and approach to work
- Proficient with both written and oral communications, including but not limited to sending emails, chairing face to face meetings, using I.T platforms and using software to carry out the role
- Producing short term programmes / gant charts in an industry recognised format
For more information about ENGIE, please visit:
For this role, you must have evidence of the right to work in the UK. There is no re-location package with this job role. ENGIE do not discriminate on the grounds of age, gender, race, colour, religion, disability or sexual orientation, and we welcome applications from all sections of the community. Certain roles may require applicants to undergo a Disclosure check, as noted in the role requirements. ENGIE has a written policy on the recruitment of ex-offenders, which is made available to all DBS applicants upon request. A copy of the DBS code of practice can be found here .
The ENGIE Resourcing Team supports this job advert. Agency involvement is not required. All related enquiries must come to the resourcing team not direct to ENGIE Managers.
- Additional Locations: Europe-England
- Posting Date: Apr 8, 2021