Skills: Student / Recent Grad, Laboratory Ops / Tech
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Lloydminster, Alberta, Canada
Wood is recruiting for Materials Laboratory and Field Technicians within our Resilient Environments group for the 2021 summer and fall months (May to October 2021) based out of our Lloydminster / Bonnyville, Alberta. This is an excellent opportunity for candidates looking to develop their career and experience in the engineering and construction field.
- Conducting various tests on asphalt pavements, concrete, aggregates and various soils in both laboratory and field environment
- Perform field soil compaction testing with soil density gauge
- Monitor the placement of soil and granular materials, and carry out compaction testing as part of trench backfill, engineered fill or general backfill or grading operations
- Perform concrete slump, air test and cast test cylinders on the field
- Monitor the placement of asphalt pavement, including sampling and compaction testing
- Maintain orderliness of laboratory
- Preparation of inspection reports and data entry
- Follow Wood's Project Review, Ethics and Safety Policies
- Construction monitoring of roads, pads, buildings etc.
- Field Concrete testing
- Field Compaction testing
- Laboratory work
Skills / Qualifications
- Enrolment in an accredited Civil Engineering Technology Diploma program
- Ability to understand and resolve soil, granular and asphalt problems while on construction sites
- Able to read drawings and specifications
- Ability to exercise diplomacy and tact when interacting with fellow staff, clients, consultants and contractors
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Reliable and punctual
- Willing to do a variety of tasks and able to prioritize
- CSA Safety boots required
- Ability to work in the laboratory and office settings
- Must be able to lift up to 40 lbs., be capable of moderate lifting as required
- Ability to travel for out of town work as required
- An unrestricted Class 5 driver's license valid in the province of Alberta is required for this role
- A clean driver's abstract is required for this role. Successful candidates will need to submit an up-to-date driver's abstract before hiring is finalized.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.