Skills: Environmental Engineer
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Masters Degree
Location: St. Louis, Missouri, United States
Wood Environment & Infrastructure Solutions (Wood E&IS) is recruiting for a Senior Scientist to report to our St. Louis, Missouri office. The ideal candidate will be a strong technical writer with a minimum of 5 years of experience in fisheries science or aquatic ecology. Familiarity and prior experience in other areas such as natural resources permitting, contaminant evaluation within aquatic ecosystems, and/or National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) project execution is also desirable. This position will appeal to individuals with demonstrable proficiency in fisheries science, fisheries management, and/or aquatic ecology, study design and planning, data summary and analysis, and technical writing. Other qualities should include a good work ethic, taking initiative, and genuine interest in career growth in collaboration with a diverse team of professionals including wetland scientists, botanists, fisheries and wildlife biologists, NEPA specialists, and environmental permitting specialists. Experience in direct communication with clients and coordinating with state, federal, and municipal governments is a plus. Work will be performed to support and maintain project/client compliance with environmental regulations such as National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System permitting compliance, Natural Resources Damage Assessment compliance, Clean Water Act Section 316(a) and 316(b) permitting compliance, the Endangered Species Act, and NEPA.
Wood E&IS invites qualified applicants with a BS or higher degree in Fisheries Science or related aquatic resources discipline or an equivalent discipline with at least 5 years of direct work experience to apply for the position. A MS or PhD degree is preferred.
- Duties include leadership and potentially management of various aquatic resource projects including but not limited to Clean Water Act 316(a) (impingement and entrainment) studies, Clean Water Act 316(b) thermal impact assessments, ecosystem restoration studies, and environmental impact assessments.
- Requisite skills and experience include proficiency in identification of all life stages of Midwestern fishes, development of study plans, electrofishing, gill netting, seining, statistical analysis and summary methods of data and other tasks applicable to water quality and aquatic ecology.
- The Senior Scientist will be responsible for supervision and leadership of other support staff.
- Preparation of project reports, study plans, and impact evaluations.
- Client interface and agency coordination/consultation.
- Prepare contract proposals and cost estimates.
- Motivate, train, and mentor junior personnel assigned to his/her tasks or projects.
- Work effectively with team members as well as independently.
Skills / Qualifications
- Fisheries Science or related aquatic resources discipline or an equivalent discipline. A MS or PhD degree is preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years of applicable experience performing fisheries and/or aquatic ecology surveys and evaluations.
- Technical knowledge of fish taxonomy, life history/ecology, survey techniques, and fisheries management protocols. Experience in macroinvertebrate taxonomy and survey methods would be a plus.
- Familiarity with GPS is required.
- Mastery of Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) is required.
- Must be able to operate a boat and drive a vehicle towing a boat.
- Applicant will have strong verbal and interpersonal communication skills and excellent writing skills (must be prepared to provide a recent example of a professional document, showing the portion(s) of the document written or co-authored by the applicant.
- Fieldwork may involve strenuous activities associated with operating a boat and equipment on major rivers and lakes.
- Must pass drug test, motor vehicle record and background checks.
- The ideal candidate would have leadership experience that includes management of scope, schedule, and budget as well as staff to effectively and efficiently execute tasks and assignments to meet client expectations and regulatory requirements.
- An understanding of and experience with contaminant evaluations within aquatic ecosystems would be beneficial.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.