Skills: Civil Engineering
Experience: 10 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Portland, Oregon, United States
At Jacobs, we don't settle - always looking beyond to raise the bar and deliver with excellence. We apply our expertise and knowledge as we look into the future with great optimism and focus. We don't settle until we give our best and know that we're making a difference.
We're looking for a Civil Engineer in Portland, Oregon who is excited about working on projects that enable the heart of our clients' business. Join us and you'll have the chance to work on projects including state of the art industrial, semi-conductor, and data center facilities. You'll be accountable for schedule and technical quality of challenging engineering tasks, as you gain familiarity with the client's expectations, scope, budget, and schedule. Your multi-discipline, highly interactive team will conceptualize initial civil design for land/site development, prepare grading plans, performing earthwork and drainage/stormwater calculations.
Bring your curiosity, talent for multi-tasking and collaboration, and extreme organizational skills and we'll help you grow, pursue and fulfill what drives you - so we can make big impacts on the world, together.
It is expected that you have a strong working knowledge of civil principals in many subject areas, understanding of US building codes with emphasis on local jurisdictional code requirements, understand how civil design integrates with and impacts other disciplines, and understand business trends and industry issues and challenges.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Highly focused on quality, ensuring conformance with established civil standards, project standards, and project delivery processes.
• Able to review and evaluate construction documents for accuracy and full compliance with client design standards, company standards, and all local jurisdiction code requirements.
• Takes responsibility for managing workload, making and keeping commitments, and taking full ownership of assigned work:
• Takes complete ownership of their portion of the civil scope, reliably meeting schedule, budget, and quality requirements.
• May be given tasks with ill-defined conditions of satisfaction, in which case the individual will be expected to take the initiative to determine what is needed to meet the project and client needs.
• Clearly define own scope and can forecast level of effort needed to complete that scope. Be ready to identify scope change and escalate it to Civil Lead.
• Ask for help when needed, and delegate to other engineers when appropriate.
• Developing leadership skills:
• Provides technical coaching, mentorship, and/or training to develop less experienced engineers.
• Proactive in advancing workflows, systems, and tools within the civil discipline. Embraces emerging technologies.
• Established reputation as a Quality Reviewer.
• Able to delegate work to other engineers and designers, including staff located in remote offices.
• Able to support work for/in other offices (possibly including Temporary Duty Assignments).
• As a Project Civil Engineer for an assigned project:
• Assist in the development of calculations, specifications, construction drawings, and the civil model (in AutoCAD Civil 3d).
• Provide design direction to Engineering and Design team as coordinated with Senior Civil Engineer.
• Fully understand all civil scope, recognize how that scope is both generated and impacted by other disciplines, and identify scope change to Senior Civil Engineer or Project Manager.
• Work with Senior Civil Engineer to develop and manage schedule, budget, and staffing forecasts for the civil scope. Provide updates on scope progress as required.
• Attend project meetings and takes an active role to help team resolve concerns and solve problems across all disciplines. Provide meeting records.
• Participates in and champions internal, cross-discipline, and external project quality reviews.
• May be asked to act as the stamping Engineer of Record for smaller projects.
• When required, take ultimate responsibility for all aspects of the deliverables, including calculations and all construction documents.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
• Able to perform field walks. Though not common, this may include climbing ladders, field verification in rough terrain or active construction sites, or walking/standing for extended periods of time.
•Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering
•At least 10 years of manufacturing project experience
•Professional Civil Engineering License (PE), or ability to obtain within 60 days
•Strong working knowledge and experience in analyzing and designing all aspects of medium to large scale industrial developments including:
•Site development, site master planning and site selection.
•Underground utility routing and site space planning.
•Hydrology analysis for designing storm drain systems.
•Analyzing and designing gravitational wastewater systems.
•Analyzing and designing pressurized water systems and water distribution networks.
•Analyzing and designing gas pipe systems.
•Performing final grading plans including cut and fill analysis and earthwork balancing.
•Providing erosion and sediment control plans, stormwater pollution prevention plans and support permit approval.
•Support permit application process.
•Research and adhere to local Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ) requirements for design and construction in any given area.
•Strong working knowledge and experience with AutoCAD Civil 3D, StormCAD, Storm and Sanitary Analysis, WaterCAD and WaterGEMS.
•Expertise in hydrology analysis tools including HEC, TR-55, Washington County and Rational Methods.
•Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
•Strong interpersonal skills.
Ideally, you'll also have:
•Previous experience in semi-conductor, data center or general industrial facilities.
•Experience with Navisworks and Bluebeam.
•Passion for travel, either long term or short term, nationally and internationally.