Skills: QA / QC / Inspection
Experience: 1 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Jersey City, New Jersey, United States
Wood Environment & Infrastructure Solutions is seeking an entry level Geologist/Environmental Scientist/Engineer to provide field and office support for a variety of remedial design and construction projects. Specifically, the role will involve a co-located assignment at our client's Jersey City, New Jersey field office and working closely with our field staff and contractors to implement complex remediation projects. General responsibilities include providing, site inspections, soil & water sampling, procuring bids for construction projects, and providing construction oversight, submittal & as-builts review, while adhering to the client's SOPs, company standards, contract, and regulatory requirements.
The project will demand substantial client interaction in technical presentations, meetings, and development of engineering work products subject to both client review and regulatory agency approval. The role will support numerous currently active projects from initial studies through the final stages of remediation, with frequent interface with Wood project teams supporting the work from our Hamilton, NJ office and Jersey City project office.
The individual will report to a Senior or Principal Engineer and work closely with the Engineering & Construction lead and/or Project Manager for assigned projects
- Construction oversight and communicating directly with subcontractors will be required
- Field activities including data collection, evaluation, and documentation in all types of weather conditions
- Soil & water sampling will be required
- Office activities including preparation of daily field reports, inspection reports, bid documents, submittal reviews, etc.
- Current sites are in the Greater Jersey City Area. Support to other Wood offices may require travel throughout New Jersey and the northeast and may include overnight travel.
- BS in Geology/Civil or Environmental Engineering or related field
- Entry level position, 1-4 years of experience in construction or environmental related field work
- Workload is expected to be on average 70% in the field and 30% in the office, but there may be periods in excess of 70% field time.
- Candidate may be required to work overtime hours in excess of 8 hours/day, 40 hours/week on a routine or as-needed basis
- Strong work ethic and high degree of flexibility and patience to adjust to changing work priorities
- New Jersey experience is preferred
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience in MS Office
- Experience with AutoCAD is a plus
- Ability to obtain OSHA 40-hour HAZWOPER training is required
- Must pass drug test, physical, background check and must have a satisfactory driving record in accordance with Company's driving (MVR) policy
Skills / Qualifications
- Requires work around construction equipment, drilling rigs, and environment contamination
- Some fieldwork may require working with hazardous materials and in hazardous conditions
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Prefer 1 to 2 years of engineering, science or technology education or training or 2 years of environmental field tech experience
- Ability to use laboratory and/or test equipment in an effective and safe manner
- 40 hour Hazmat trained
- Ability to understand procedural manuals and execute work orders
- Attention to detail
- Ability to follow directions
Physical Job Requirements :
- Ability to stoop, kneel, climb and lift up to 50 pounds
- Ability to drive large pick-up truck; ability to drive a trailer helpful
- Ability to use hands to operate field equipment
- Close, distance, and peripheral vision; normal auditory function
- Must complete employment physical demonstrating ability to meet job requirements, including the ability to wear a respirator, as required
- Completion of annual or bi-annual employment physical, as required
- Valid driver's license and insurable driving record
- Must pass Health and Safety Training and Defensive Driving Courses upon hire
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.