Skills: CAD / CAM, Civil Engineering
Experience: 10 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
Wood Resilient Environments (Wood) is currently seeking a Senior Civil Design Technician to join our team in Vancouver, BC.
Wood Resilient Environments' core competencies include transportation, geotechnical and infrastructure engineering and water resource services. The Civil Design group is dynamic and growing. Our group of designers work and interface directly with Engineers on a variety of projects, ranging from transportation, mining and industrial site development to water-related Infrastructure. This is an excellent opportunity to apply your technical skills to a wide variety of infrastructure design challenges as a member of a team of like-minded professionals.
The qualified candidate will have 10 + years' experience in design for roads, site drainage, utilities and industrial site development, a minimum 5 years of experience with terrain data acquisition and manipulation, Civil3D design and project coordination, and experience in design with respect to Woods internal and client standards. Design supervision based on design criteria and project scope of work. This position involves coordination with other disciplines including geotechnical, survey and construction, as well as, quantity takeoffs and construction support.
- Work closely with engineers, technicians, technologists and Project Managers in the preparation of document and drawing packages, report figures, design concepts, technical specifications and calculations
- Participate in solving particularly challenging technical problems
- 3D modelling of project features and designs
- Coordination with other team members and other units in related operations
- Carry out civil engineering design and prepare drawings in accordance with project CAD standards
- Develop cost-effective design layouts based on project specifications and requirements
- Adhere to established design guidelines and procedures
- Analyze design issues and recommend corrective actions
- Use software and technologies to develop effective designs
- Maintain accurate design files for reference purposes
- Manage time and tasks within allotted timelines and budgets
- Perform design changes and improvements according to changing project demands
- Provide assistance to design and construction teams
- Determine material and quantity estimates
- Perform field reviews and investigations to prepare engineering designs
- Ensure compliance with Wood Resilient Environments Quality Management Programme and its policies/procedures
Skills / Qualifications
- Civil Engineering technician/technology diploma from a recognized post-secondary institution.
- Knowledge of standard drawings for infrastructure projects including site development, roadways, water and wastewater treatment plant and pump stations, pipelines, storm drainage and retention ponds
- 10+ years of design and detailing experience on (roads & utilities) infrastructure projects using AutoCAD
- 5+ years' of design experience on roadways and pipelines using AutoCAD Civil 3D
- 5+ years' of data manipulation, translation and calculations using Globalmapper
- Excellent organizational, technical, writing, communication and computer skills
- Ability to handle challenges and work under tight deadlines
- Ability to follow directions and communicate effectively
- Coordinate staff project assignments and workload scheduling for team members
- Excellent interpersonal skills/positive attitude and ability to work in a team atmosphere is required
- Good knowledge and experience with the implementation and use of MMCD design and drawing standards
- Membership in good standing with Applied Science Technologists of BC
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.