Skills: Design Engineer
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Wood is seeking an Intermediate Civil Designer to join our Mining & Minerals business group. Reporting to the Engineering Manager, this position is located at our Vancouver, BC office. If you have a successful track record and thrive on challenges in a fast-paced environment, this opportunity is for you.
- Working closely with engineers, technicians, technologists and project managers in preparation of document and drawing packages, report figures, design concepts, technical specifications and calculations
- Preparing cost-effective site layouts for mining, industrial and infrastructure facilities including services and utilities, based on project specifications and requirements
- Processing the topographic data (from LiDAR, satellite, ground surveys, etc.) for use on the projects, and georeferencing the survey data
- Providing civil design and drafting support for utility and industrial facilities and services, including buried and overland piping, pumping stations, access roadways, and spill containment systems
- Preparing drawings for site development and earthworks including site preparation, general grading, final grading and surface drainage, ditches, ponds, roads, embankments, and rail spurs using AutoCAD and Civil 3D programs, in accordance with project CAD standards
- Analyzing design issues and recommending corrective actions
- Preparing material take-offs
- Reviewing and coordinating project documents prior to issue for scope and presentation against project standards and specifications
- Responding to information requests from site and completing project documentation including as-builts, calculations and return of data to the client
Skills / Qualifications
- Diploma in Civil Engineering Design Technology
- 5+ years of relevant design experience relating to mining, industrial facilities and infrastructure,
- Knowledge of standard drawings for mining and transportation infrastructure projects including site development, roadways, railways, buried and overland piping, water and wastewater treatment plants and pump stations, storm drainage and retention / polishing ponds
- Experience in using AutoCAD and Civil 3D design/drafting software
- Understanding various coordinate systems and geodetic elevation references
- Experience with processing and modifying the topographic data for the project needs, setting up the project survey reference points, and establishing the coordinate systems for the projects.
- Drafting and design experience within a consulting engineering environment
- Familiarity with storm water management systems including sewer design, runoff calculations, the sizing of ditches, culverts, and ponds, and the design of sediment control facilities
- Proficiency in the operation of GIS based applications would be an advantage
- Ability to work efficiently and effectively when managing multiple tasks
- Excellent organizational, technical, writing, communication and computer skills
- Ability to work independently and in a multi-disciplinary team environment
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.