Skills: CAD / CAM, Instrument & Controls Engineer, Well Control
Experience: 10 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
This position provides engineering and technical support for the Company's technology development group. This support includes design and analysis for New Product Development and Sustaining Product Development as well as related project management. The opportunity is a 1st principles based engineering position. The primary responsibility of this position is to develop innovative technology products that automate manual processes related to wellbore construction.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES & TASKS include the following:
- Engineer products from concept through detailed design in support of the innovation and technology development program.
- Design, evaluate, and qualify new equipment and methodology for commercialization utilizing agile-stage-gate process.
- Develop software for control, simulation, and real-time monitoring of oil and gas operations.
- Develop physics-based software models
- Develop work plans, schedules, and write and review project requirements.
- Develop system and product design information and formulate models and simulations to represent their performance.
- Evaluate user feedback of products for design improvements and enhancements.
- Provide engineering and technical support to other departments as required.
- Assist in development of product requirements, specifications, procedures, and standards
- Development of project work scopes, cost and scheduling for projects.
- Develop, review, and participate in design FMEA and FMECA studies.
- Ensure designs are executed within budget and as scheduled.
- Create conceptual, preliminary and detailed designs of control systems.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
POSITION SPECIFIC KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- A Bachelor of Science in Engineering degree or related discipline is required. An advanced degree (Master's or Ph.D.) is preferred.
- Should have at least 10 years of automation and controls design experience, preferably with drilling automation
- Must be proficient with programming industrial controls including PLCs and SBCs with high-level languages such as C++
- Must have a working knowledge of AutoCAD.
- Have a working knowledge of drilling and well control equipment.
- Have extensive knowledge of drilling control systems.
- Must be a detail-oriented, self-starter and able to work with little supervision while maintaining goals/tasks.
- Must have excellent PC skills to include MS Office products.
- Must have good written and verbal communication skills and be able to effectively communicate with staff, management, customers, and vendors.
- Must possess sound reasoning skills and have the ability to follow directions.
The physical and mental demands must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to:
- Sit/stand while performing primarily sedentary work; Use repetitive wrist, hand, or finger movements at a computer;
- Carry up to 10 lbs;
- Communicate with others in a clear and professional manner both orally and in writing to exchange information;
- Work as an integral part of a team with the ability to also work independently;
- Ability to work under pressure while maintaining both perspective and professional demeanor;
- Work in a fast-paced professional environment while sustaining attention with distractions and/or interruptions.
This position will typically work in a climate-controlled building in the Lafayette Office.
- Ensure personal behavior and work practices are in line with Company safety standards
- Responsible for safety of self and others in the vicinity to include, but not limited to, employees, suppliers, and guests
- Provide visible leadership engagement, be aware of housekeeping and take additional safety precautions to ensure no one is put at risk
- Do not take short cuts or unnecessary risks and actively work with others to ensure they take due care and do not put themselves or others at risk
- Ensure all incidents are reported and appropriately investigated in accordance with Company procedure
- As needed, seek advice from HSE representative
Parker Drilling is a global drilling company providing drilling services, project management and rental tools to the energy industry. Parker’s primary business segment is drilling services with 38 rigs in international locations and 19 rigs in the United States Gulf of Mexico.
The Company’s international rig fleet consists of barge rigs and related operations in the Caspian Sea, Nigeria and Mexico, as well as land rigs and related operations in a total of 15 countries. Parker’s U.S. rig fleet operates in the transition zone of the Gulf of Mexico.
Founded in 1934, the Company moved it headquarters to Houston, Texas from Tulsa, Oklahoma in September 2001. Customers include major, independent and national oil and gas companies. Quail Tools has four U.S. locations where it is a leading provider of specialized rental equipment for drilling and workover operations. Office and yard locations include New Iberia, Louisiana; Victoria and Odessa, Texas; and Evanston, Wyoming.