Skills: Environmental, Safety & Training
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Portland, NH, US
Wood's Portland, ME location is seeking a full-time (up to 40 hours per week) Treatment Plant Operator to support a groundwater treatment system at a remediation project Site in Central Maine. With nearby access to Interstate 95, the project site is located 45 minutes north of Portland, Maine. While the primary duties of the Operator would be at this Site, periodic visits to similar remediation project sites in the Northeast may be requested.
We are a close-knit team of dedicated professionals working to find solutions for our diverse customer base. Our knowledgeable and skilled Environmental Technicians & Scientists, Hydrogeologists, Remediation Engineers, Chemists, and Data Visualization Specialists are what make us known in the Industry and drive our recognition for delivering high quality and technical excellence. We realize this success is the result of the efforts and abilities of our people. With such large scope and brand recognition, our employees have the opportunity to work on complex and diverse projects. Our team takes pride in maintaining a small family-like environment, while also having the structure, resources, and opportunities of a large international organization.
Key Responsibilities :
- Perform operation and maintenance tasks for a 62 gpm groundwater extraction and treatment system including 14 extraction wells and an air stripper.
- Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- tracking and recording daily individual well and total flows through the system, recording pH readings, and properly balancing air flows through the air stripper.
- water quality sampling and compliance reporting of discharge to the municipal, publicly-owned treatment works.
- Requires familiarity with automated data acquisition and reporting systems, and formatting the collected data to meet client and regulatory reporting requirements.
- Monitoring this system remotely to reduce on-site time will be expected once familiarity with the system is demonstrated.
- Periodic site-wide water level data collection and downloading of transducer-recorded groundwater levels.
- Seasonal maintenance tasks including:
- removing pumps from wells and clearing iron and manganese buildup.
- working with a subcontractor to clean wells and well lines.
- quarterly cleaning of the air stripper media material.
- Continuous attention to following all health and safety procedures and practices at the Site, and working to maintain and improve safety conditions.
- General housekeeping and landscaping tasks.
- Taking initiative to complete tasks in a team environment both indoors and outdoors.
Work Environment :
- The position will work out of an on-site groundwater treatment facility operated by Wood 2-4 days per week for the first 6 months.
- Monitoring this system remotely (from Wood Portland or home office) to reduce on-site time will be expected once familiarity with the system is demonstrated.
- Periodic visits to similar remediation project sites in the Northeast may also be requested.
Skills / Qualifications
Basis/Required Qualifications :
- Technical or Bachelor's degree in wastewater treatment of mechanical engineering
- Familiarity with automated data collection systems and computer interface
- Strong verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Must be a self-starter and successfully work in a team environment
- Must have a satisfactory driving record in accordance with the Wood's driving policy and FAA requirements
- And must be able to pass a vigorous Federal level background check
- US Citizenship required
Preferred Qualifications :
- 40-hour OSHA HAZWOPER training in accordance with 29CFR 1910.120
- Groundwater remediation system experience
Physical Demands :
- Ability to remain on feet for extended periods of time either stationary or walking
- Field activities that may require working in unfavorable weather conditions, including heat and cold
- Completion of annual or bi-annual employment physical, as required
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.