Experience: 7 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: Houston, Texas, United States
Reporting to the Director-State & Local Tax, this Tax Manager position works in a highly collaborative environment, serving as the primary technical adviser on state and local income/franchise corporate income tax matters and company liaison to outsourced compliance provider.
Job Responsibilities Include:
- Review state and local income/franchise corporate income tax returns, estimates and extensions prepared through by outsourced provider
- Prepare return mailouts, JE postings, check requests, reconciliations, cash forecasting, etc.
- Prepare and review state apportionment
- Support and review quarterly state by state provision calculations
- Exhibit considerable knowledge of ASC 740 and related tax accounting areas
- Respond to state and local tax notices and requests from taxing authorities
- Provide tax guidance/support to internal business units
- Support tax research and planning matters
- Identify and implement tax saving projects (including credits and incentives)
- Assist controversy team with state and local income tax audits
- Continuously improve department functionality, internal controls and efficiency
- Responsible for special projects as necessary
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or related field
- CPA, MBA, MS in Taxation is highly desirable
- 7+ years of corporate state and local income/franchise tax experience
- Proficient in MS Office and Tax Software Applications (OneSource, RIA-Checkpoint, CCH), SAP experience a plus
- Excellent analytical, problem solving ability, verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrate initiative, teamwork and technical tax expertise
- Display strong mentoring and training capabilities and the ability to develop personnel
- Ability to work effectively in larger SALT team environment
- Ability to clearly and concisely interface with all levels within the company
- Under broad direction, manages a tax technical field of responsibility within tax advisory, accounting, compliance and/or indirect taxes.
- May manage multiple functions with a focus on geographical reporting.
- May actively manage personnel, activities and deadlines in support of financial close process, account reconciliations and supporting financial pronouncements and tax technical research, as applicable.
- Acts as company advocate and advisor in one or more substantive areas of tax law, whether by subject matter or geography.
- Manages audit defense of tax positions taken, in addition to considering planning opportunities to optimize company's effective tax rate and/or cash tax position.
- Manages compliance with internal controls in their respective area.
- Manages functions and responsibilities of staff and prepares/reviews technical memoranda in support of tax technical positions taken in financial statements and statutory tax filings.
- Responsible for career development and coaching of personnel.
- Requires an undergraduate degree in Accounting or related field and 7 years related experience and/or equivalent combination of education and competency.
- Applicable professional certification preferred.
- Must have thorough comprehension of prevailing statutory authority and its applicability to financial (general ledger) data.
- Excellent personal communications skills and ability to work in team environment a must.
Halliburton is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, citizenship, marital status, sex/gender, sexual preference/ orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, national origin, or any other status protected by law or regulation.
3000 N. Sam Houston Parkway E., Houston, Texas, 77032, United States
Requisition Number: 90803
Experience Level: Experienced Hire
Job Family: Support Services
Product Service Line: Finance
Full Time / Part Time: Full Time
Additional Locations for this position:
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience.
Founded in 1919, Halliburton is one of the world’s leading providers of products and services to the upstream energy industry.
Halliburton is proud to be a services company, and our customers and investors appreciate our business model. Our strong competitive position not only comes from our geographic footprint and wide range of products and services, but also, more importantly, from the quality of our work and the dedication of our employees.
With approximately 55,000 employees, representing 140 nationalities in more than 80 countries, Halliburton touches much of the oil and gas that fuel our society.
Halliburton comprises 14 product service lines (PSLs). The PSLs operate in two divisions: Drilling and Evaluation, and Completion and Production.
Our Consulting and Project Management PSL works across both divisions and is the spearhead of our integrated-services strategy. Its financial results are included in the Drilling and Evaluation Division. PSLs are primarily responsible and accountable for strategy, technology development, process development, people development and capital allocation.
Integrity: Ethics and integrity are the foundation of our brand and the guiding principles for all we do.
Safety: Priority number one. We are focused on our own personal safety, as well as on the safety of others.
Collaboration: We work together with customers, and understand that everyone has a role in providing the best solution.
Competition: We compete to win, knowing that competition makes everyone stronger.
Creativity: We are resourceful. We are innovative, and strive to apply the right technology and solution every time.
Reliability: We deliver what we promise. We believe the quality of our service defines who we are.
Respect: We are honest with ourselves and with each other. We value our diverse skills and talents, and know we are stronger together as one family.
These values are our corporate DNA, the foundation for how we relate to each other and to every individual and entity with whom we interact. These are the principles that every Halliburton employee is expected to use, live by, and demonstrate on a daily basis.
Own Your Career
Our people are essential to our ability to innovate, achieve, grow, and lead. We attract and retain the best talent by investing in our employees and empowering them to develop themselves and their careers. We invest in our employees through leadership and competency development, competitive compensation plans, health benefits, work-life programs, and reward and incentive plans.
Opportunities for career development – and the tools you need to take advantage of them – are abundant. Combine those opportunities with your drive and capabilities, and your career path can go in nearly any direction you choose.