Skills: Geotechnical Engineer, QA / QC / Inspection
Experience: 2 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
Wood Resilient Environments (Wood) is hiring a Geotechnical/Materials Engineer for our Lethbridge office. The Geotechnical/Materials Engineer will play a key role in the organization, providing suppport for our geotechnical and materials testing groups. In this position you will be exposed to high quality mentoring and professional development opportunities. The position may involve significant time out of town in the field and possibly rotational field assignments.
- Geotechnical engineering on a wide variety of projects including commercial, industrial, mining, oil and gas, infrastructure and others;
- Construction monitoring on projects including, excavations, subgrade and shallow foundation inspections, pile installation monitoring, embankment performance monitoring, etc;
- Geotechnical drilling and soil logging;
- Installation and monitoring of geotechnical instrumentation such as slope inclinometers, standpipe, pneumatic and vibrating wire piezometers, settlement plates, etc;
- Preparation of field reports, and assisting with the preparation of geotechnical reports and proposals;
- Data reduction, analysis and design including slope stability, seepage and settlement modelling etc;
- Willingness to travel within Western and Northern Canada including working in conjunction with other Wood offices;
- Maintain and develop client relations;
- Provide excellent customer service and a commitment to technical excellence; and
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills / Qualifications
- A Bachelor's degree in Civil or Geotechnical Engineering;
- Minimum of 2 to 5 years of geotechnical and/or materials testing field experience which can include previous summer or co-op employment terms in geotechnical/materials engineering, engineering consulting, geological fieldwork or earthworks construction;
- A strong professional desire to develop a career in the field of geotechnical engineering;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English;
- Currently registered or eligible for registration as an Engineer in Training (EIT) or Professional Engineer (P.Eng.)with the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta;
- Physically able to lift and hike in rugged/remote terrain conditions;
- Ability to travel frequently to a variety of out of town project sites; and
- Class 5 driver's license and a good driving record (driving abstract required) ;
- Participate in background checks including, criminal record and/or drug screening for site access; and
- Safety is your first priority while working.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.