Skills: Planner / Scheduler
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Sandton, Gauteng, South Africa
Wood is currently recruiting for a Senior Planner on a contract basis with extensive experience in the mining and minerals industry on large capital projects, including projects in remote locations and other countries, in particular third world countries.
Main Purpose of Role
- To develop, progress and report the schedule status of the project and proactively assist and support the PM to deliver the project objectives and to report on the project status.
- Work on either a single major project or provide planning support to a number of smaller projects and studies to compile and co-ordinate the smooth running of the project schedule.
- The planner undertakes the initial and ongoing detailed forward planning for the project in support of the PM.
- The planner will work in a manner that supports and enhances the Amec Foster Wheeler values of:
- Delivering on promises;
- Developing full potential;
- Doing the right thing.
- Knowledge of project processes to be able to develop a project schedule independently for review.
- Effective use of planning software both Primavera and MS Projects
- Fully computer literate with respect to Microsoft Office software
- Good report writing skills
- Communication and teamwork
Role Specific Responsibilities
- Provide support and inform the PM and construction manager (CM) in respect of progress measurement on the project.
- Prepare, issue and maintain the master schedule of the project.
- Review the bid milestones and overall completion timetable in conjunction with the project scope at award and identify any anomalies or inconsistencies.
- In collaboration with the project team and all other participants, develop the work breakdown structure (WBS) and integrate the code of accounts with the WBS.
- In consultation with the project team, identify key critical constraints and interfaces.
- Establish key milestone dates in agreement with the PM.
- Establish productivity norms, time standards and progress measurement criteria for all disciplines in liaison with project controls.
- Develop the basis of schedule (BoS) and / or schedule management plan for approval by the PM.
- Set up the interface between the schedule and the applied company / project system (if required).
- Ensure that commissioning considerations are established and catered for in the project program during program baseline development.
- Identify the critical path(s) and near critical paths in the project implementation schedule (PIS). Report slippages and gains against the baseline schedule.
- Monitor, control and report the status of free and total float in the schedule.
- Evaluate and integrate contractor's and supplier's schedules and report findings to the PM, CM and project engineer.
- Where required, assist the construction manager to implement shutdown schedules.
- Provide input and review proposed change management time implications and document the result. Manage approved changes in the schedule.
- Attend project and contract kick off, progress, cost control and planning meetings and manage changes in the schedule.
- Review the schedule portions of contractor's extra work claims and prepare details for discussion and/or inclusion in any response.
- Assist project controls to produce management reports and the monthly status reports.
- Prepare and submit planning data for the project close out report and progressive learning (lessons learned).
- To undertake peer reviews of schedules produced by other planners upon instruction by the planning manager.
- Ensure that all plans and schedules are prepared and executed in accordance with the Company's planning standards.
Skills / Qualifications
- PMI SP (Scheduling Professional)
- AACE PSP (Planning and Scheduling Professional)
- PMI PMP (Project Management Professional)
- CAPM (Certified Associate in Project Management)
Knowledge, skills and experience:
- Expert knowledge of and competence in the use of Primavera P6 and MS Project
- Expert knowledge of MS Office
- Project planning experience in multi-discipline mining and minerals processing projects and studies
- Site planning experience in multi-discipline mining and minerals processing projects and studies
- EPC / EPCM experience in either a consulting or construction contractor environment
- 5 - 8 years' relevant experience considered essential to meet the demands of this position.
- Strong team player
- Ability to work in a high-pressure environment.
- Attention to detail to ensure the accuracy of the outputs
- Analytical thinker
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written)
NOTE: This is a contract position.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.