Skills: Engineering Manager
Experience: 15 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Sandton, Gauteng, South Africa
Wood is currently recruiting for a Project Engineering Manager on a contract basis with extensive experience in the mining and minerals industry on large capital projects, including projects in remote locations and other countries, in particular third world countries.
Main Purpose of Role
- Co-ordination of all design and engineering related matters on a specific project
- Provide specific engineering input to one (or more) specific projects or studies with both a line and functional role and reporting responsibility.
- Responsible for planning, execution, monitoring, control and close out of engineering deliverables.
- Ensure that technical solutions embody agreed levels of operability, maintainability and constructability.
- Ensure the project/study design and engineering specifications are in compliance with location specific government rules, regulations and statutes.
- Ensure company Health, Safety and Environmental (HSE) policies, manuals and procedures are complied with.
- Accountability for the project/study engineering budget and schedule.
Role Specific Responsibilities
- Responsible for managing engineering interfaces, with internal resources and with external stakeholders.
- Preparation and implementation of the project/study specific Engineering Execution Plan.
- Responsible for establishing and maintaining the project/study Design Basis, including interpreting the needs of the client.
- Responsible for assembling and approval of general engineering procedures, work instructions, checklists and guidelines.
- Responsible for maintaining consistency of standards and presentation across engineering design documentation.
- Responsible for scheduling and coordinating technical reviews.
- Responsible for implementing preventative and corrective actions relating to engineering and design performance.
- Manage the enquiry, tendering and adjudication phases across all disciplines, providing final recommendation and sign off for the project/study manager.
- Manage engineering resources (time and cost) against budget.
- Prepare progress reports highlighting achievements, issues and deviations.
- Performance against schedules, i.e. ability to prioritise and deliver outputs of both your own and those of the discipline engineers in a timely manner to assist other roles to complete on time.
- Problems are solved in a timely and effective manner.
- Display of technical competence, reliability and quality.
- Review a small sample of discipline calculations for completeness, integrity and accuracy.
- All work is conducted in line with company standards.
- Performance of all discipline engineers meets the desired standards.
- Client satisfaction with relationship and service.
- Is an active role model to less experienced personnel
- Thorough knowledge of company design procedures, the design process, design systems available, engineering standards and effect of design process on project process.
- Plant constructability and commissioning ease.
- Communication and delegation skill.
- To actively pursue excellent Health, Safety and Environmental performance standards and to encourage all staff to achieve or outperform the indicated HSE KPI's of the company.
- Performance - measurement to be in line with the company Performance and Development Review Process aligned to the company KPI's.
Skills / Qualifications
- Undergraduate Degree, e.g. BSc, BEng, B. Tech
- Minimum of 15 years general engineering experience with at least 10 years in the mining and minerals processing area in the design office and in the field
- Multi Discipline Formal Qualification
- Registered as a professional engineer with ECSA
- Good commercial awareness/risk management skills.
- Previous experience in a similar position
- Experience in engineering management on medium to large projects and studies.
Knowledge, skills and experience:
- An understanding of technical issues across all engineering disciplines
- Ability to obtain performance from; and get deadlines met, by people, without having direct authority over them
- Good organizational and time management skills
- Ability to problem-solve effectively
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to effectively work in a team
- Attention to detail
- Well-developed computer skills and knowledge of databases, spreadsheets and engineering programs.
- Managerial - leadership ability/skills with ability to delegate effectively
- Understanding of South African and common International standards and regulatory authority requirements in the mining and minerals processing sector
- Site experience construction and commissioning
- Good verbal, written, interpersonal and organisational skills
- Motivating and empowering management style
- A pro-active attitude.
- Personal integrity and trustworthiness.
- Natural leader of people with willingness to further develop leadership skills.
- Strong client relationship and networking ability.
- A common - sense approach to everyday life.
- A willingness to treat all people with respect, integrity and consistency.
- High levels of initiative and "get up and go" to manage own work flow to meet objectives.
- A capacity for persistence and resilience and patience in a sometimes-challenging environment.
- Willingness to learn.
- An appreciation of the value of team work and willingness to work as part of a team, providing support for other team members as required
NOTE: This is a contract position.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.