Skills: Environmental Engineer
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada
Wood is currently seeking an Environmental Specialist, Biologist to join our BC Environmental team.
We believe that the key to protecting the environment begins with understanding it. A strong understanding of natural sciences including terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems, appropriate study methodologies, survey protocols; and the ability to incorporate environmental information into effective planning, design and permitting process for development projects is a core strength for the successful candidate.
The successful specialist will provide a critical function of coordinating the interaction between our ecological group and the environmental planning and engineering teams. They will coordinate natural science investigations; support and inform the planning and design process and prepare and secure required environmental permits. They will also recommend and develop effective mitigation measures; and implement follow-up monitoring programs to assess mitigation compliance and performance. This position can be based out of our Vancouver office with the flexibility to work remotely with balance of office needs.
- Coordination of natural sciences baseline, and impact assessment technical support documentation during project planning, design and implementation phases consistent with the requirements of municipal and provincial legislation and policy
- Support the natural sciences component of Environmental Assessments
- Obtain environmental permits, approvals and clearances associated with federal and provincial environmental legislation and policies
- Collaboratively coordinate with internal technical discipline leads, technical support staff and sub-consultants for the timely execution of technical studies and preparation of natural sciences documentation required to support planning, design and permitting process
- Coordinate senior review of deliverables in accordance with Wood review policy
- Participate in regulatory agency consultation meetings and public information sessions to establish sound working relationships with relevant Governmental Authorities and Stakeholders
- Develop monitoring studies to confirm the compliance and effectiveness of environmental mitigation and compensation measures
- Provide project and task management to maintain effective budget tracking and control, deliverable accountability, and client relationship/satisfaction
- Proposal management, writing, and cost estimating
- Other duties as assigned to you from time to time
Skills / Qualifications
- Post-secondary education in Natural Sciences, Environmental Science, Environmental Planning, Environmental Policy, or a related science/engineering discipline
- 5+ years direct sector experience with focus in environmental support and permitting capability in linear infrastructure projects such as, roadways, highways, pipelines, railways and power transmission lines
- Professional designation (R.P.Bio., R.B.Tech.) is an asset
- Broad knowledge of biology disciplines (aquatics, vegetation, wetlands, wildlife) is an asset
- Experience with provincial and federal environmental legislation and regulatory process (BCEAA, IAA, WSA, Fisheries Act, SARA)
- The ability to work in multidisciplinary planning and design team environment, effectively communicate environmental constraints and opportunities, and work collaboratively with clients and designers to achieve innovative and compliant environmental mitigation measures
- High caliber interpersonal skills, ability to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing
- Ability to recognize project risk and provide meaningful input to solve complex problems
- Sound understanding of design and construction phases as they pertain to planning and permitting
- Sound time management, coordination and organizational skills and ability to work independently
- Fluency with use of MS Office Suite including Excel, Word, Project, PowerPoint
- Class 5 driver's license and access to a vehicle
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.