Experience: 10 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
Wood serves many of the world leaders in the mining industry. The company maintains mining offices across Canada, the USA and Australia, as well as in Santiago, Chile; Lima, Peru; and Johannesburg, South Africa .
Wood currently has a senior leadership opportunity for a Senior Open Pit Mining Engineer to join our Mining Consulting group in North America. This position has responsibility for executing technical mining consulting studies. This position requires strong technical, managerial and business leadership skills. The candidate shall be comfortable working in a multi-disciplinary environment providing engineering expertise in the matters of open pit metal operations, with operations and engineering roles of increasing responsibility in the mining and consulting industry.
If you have a successful track record and thrive on challenges in a fast paced environment, this is the opportunity for you.
- Providing technical execution skills for a diverse mining engineering team ranging from junior to principal level staff
- Ability to secure consulting work for Wood's Mining Consulting team by establishing and maintaining client relationships and developing business leads and work opportunities
- Soliciting work and preparing proposals and bids for all levels of study and engineering projects
- Supporting continuous development of company cost and design databases
- Scope definition, budget and proposal preparation for open pit mining consulting projects.
- Providing specialist technical input, leadership and management on multi-disciplinary studies and projects including as mining lead on consulting studies
- Act as senior peer review on consulting studies performed by others
- Ensuring projects are completed on time, within budget and in accordance with Wood standards
- Managing interactions between consulting, engineering and client teams
- Actively supporting business development activities through participation in conferences, direct business development activities and strategic client relationship management
- Ensuring compliance with company health and safety policies, project management and commercial procedures
Skills / Qualifications
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in Mining Engineering
- Eligibility for Professional Engineering membership in the jurisdiction where the candidate will be based.
- A minimum of 10 years' experience of combined mining industry experience in operations and engineering consulting industry
- Qualified person (QP) for open pit mining studies
- Familiarity with mine planning software systems such as MinePlan, Gemcom, Surpac, Datamine, Vulcan and Whittle, and capable of utilizing industry knowledge to develop mine designs and production plans
- Knowledge of industry standards in mineral resource and mineral reserve estimation (such as JORC, CIM or SME guidelines) and compliance with public disclosure regulations
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated leadership skills in the management of technical people and advanced projects
- Demonstrated effective writing skills to support study report preparation.
- Willingness to travel both domestically and internationally, for varying durations and at times to remote locations
- Strong network with mining clients in the Americas is considered a strong asset
- Authorization to work lawfully in United States or Canada without sponsorship from Wood is required
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.