Join us in creating, growing, and delivering innovation at pace, enabling us to thrive while transitioning to a net zero world. All without compromising our operational risk management.
Working with us, you can do this by:
- deploying our integrated capability and standards in service of our net zero and safety ambitions
- driving our digital transformation and pioneering new business models
- collaborating to deliver competitive customer-focused energy solutions
- originating, scaling and commercialising innovative ideas, and creating ground-breaking new businesses from them
- protecting us by assuring management of our greatest physical and digital risks.
Because together we are:
About the role
- Originators, builders, guardians and disruptors.
- Engineers, technologists, scientists and entrepreneurs.
- Empathetic, curious, creative and inclusive.
The Senior Principal Data Engineer is the most senior individual contributor in the Data Engineering & Data Management discipline at bp. The Senior Principal Data Engineer drives deep strategic thinking by combining their technical expertise with strong business acumen and data domain knowledge. The individual continues to be hands-on, for example writing and reviewing code, architecting distributed data systems and providing actionable, pragmatic insights in technical design reviews.Responsibilities
- Defines, sets and propagates the Data Engineering & Data Management strategy for bp in collaboration with the VP, Data & Analytics.
- Identifies, leads and builds overarching Data Engineering & Data Management programs.
- Is hands-on and continues to actively contribute to code.
- Drives and promotes a data-driven culture and mindset across bp.
- Elevates bp's external profile in the area of Data.
- Develops an identity and community within the Data team at bp.
- Establishes and owns the standards and best practices for Data Engineering & Data Management.
- Pioneers new use cases in the Data space.
- Recommends the canonical set of data tools across bp.
- Provides insights, stays at the leading edge of emergent trends and technologies and advises the executive team and senior business leaders on the introduction of new Data technologies.
- Mentors others and in conjunction with People and Culture builds data engineering & data management learning paths to upskill and reskill bp talent.
- Deep and hands-on experience designing, planning, implementing, maintaining and documenting reliable and scalable data infrastructure and data products in complex environments.
- Development experience in one or more object-oriented programming languages (e.g. Python, Go, Java, C++)
- Experience designing and implementing large-scale distributed systems
- Deep knowledge and hands-on experience in technologies across all data lifecycle stages
- Strong stakeholder management and ability to lead large organizations through influence
- Continuous learning and improvement mindset
- BS degree in computer science or related field
- No prior experience in the energy industry required