Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood is looking for Electrician Apprentices (3rd and 4th period) for a short term position in the Fort McMurray Area.
Install, alter, repair and maintain electrical systems designed to provide heat, light, power, control, signal or fire alarms for all types of buildings structures and premises. Read and interpret electrical, mechanical and architectural drawings, specifications, and applicable codes to determine wiring layouts Use tools, materials and equipment with the purpose of executing the work. Working in confined spaces and/or at heights, work may be indoor or outdoor and in extreme temperatures.
Technical Duties and Essential Functions:
- Follow all company and site-specific safety rules. Working within the Company's Safety Program at all times. Maintaining behaviour-based safety essentials and adherence to the Life Saving Rules. Understand and respond accordingly to all safety alerts, warnings, hazards, etc.
- Strict adherence to LOTO procedures
- Use effective verbal and written communication skills. Able to adequately comprehend and communicate using the English Language
- Listen and communicate effectively and respectfully. Work as a part of a team, under the direction of a foreman and/or general foreman. Maintain motivation to work safely and productively
- Work within precise limits or standards of accuracy, understanding and following specifications and drawings
- Read and comprehend electrical drawings, diagrams and specifications. Planning work tasks and sequences in accordance with these drawings. Selecting proper tools, material and equipment for the task
- Apply trigonometry, algebra and calculus to solve problems
- Measure, cut, bend, thread, assemble and install electrical conduit using such tools as a hacksaw, pipe threader, tape measure and conduit benders. Pull wiring through conduit
- Splice wires by stripping insulation from terminal leads with knife or pliers, twisting or soldering wires together and applying tape or terminal caps
- Connect wiring to lighting fixtures and power equipment using hand tools
- Install control and distribution apparatus, such as switches, relays and circuit- breaker panels, and fastens in place with screws or bolts using hand or power tools
- Connects power cables to equipment and installs grounding lead
- Test continuity of circuit to insure electrical compatibility and safety of components using testing instruments such as ohmmeter, battery and buzzer and oscilloscope
- Observes functioning of installed equipment or system to determine hazards and need for adjustments, relocation, or replacement
- Disassembles and repairs defective electrical equipment or systems
- Perform other duties as required
Skills / Qualifications
Valid apprenticeship certificate in the Electrical Trade at the 3rd or 4th period. Experience in industrial electrical installation, construction, maintenance, fabrication, and/or repair. All employees must demonstrate competence at the approprite level of their trade. This includes but is not limited to knowledge of electrical drawings, specifications and codes, use of electrical tools, installing various types of electrical equipment, and trouble-shooting electrical systems.
Fall Arrest Certificate is required when working at heights.
- Must pass a site-specific drug and alcohol test, as required by the customer
- Must be able to safely lift and carry up to 50lbs
- Must possess enough strength and stamina to perform the technical duties and essential functions as identified above
- Able to move and work in confined spaces, following proper protocol
- May be required consistently to work 10hour shifts performing physical labour in varying temperature extremes and conditions. May be required to work overtime on occasion
- Must be able to climb and maintain balance on stairs, ladders, scaffolds and steel framework, utilizing proper fall arrest procedures when required. Able to safely and comfortably work at heights without posing a danger to oneself or others
- Able to distinguish colours to safely work with colour coded wiring
- Able to meet physical requirements of frequent walking, climbing, standing, bending, twisting and crawling for the duration of the shift
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.