Skills: Construction Manager
Experience: 20 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Wood is seeking a Senior / Construction Manager to manage all aspects of construction activities of large and/or complex and/or high priority projects. On assigned project(s), plans, organizes and controls company resources and provides leadership, clear direction, and good example to assigned company personnel to achieve customer satisfaction and attainment of schedule, cost, and profit objectives while adhering to safety and quality requirements and company policies. Responsible for the day-to-day operations at the construction site and functions as the company's chief site representative to the customer, local labor, subcontractors and vendors. For "construction only" projects, also functions as the Project Director/Manager.
- Attends handover meeting with the Project Director / Project Manager, Proposal Manger and others prior to commencement of the work.
- Directs and coordinates the formulation and issue of the Construction Execution Plan document in accord with company policy. Reviews with and obtains approval of the Project Director/Project Manager of the plan. Updates and reissues as necessary.
- Plans and provides for the needs of the construction program as required by the Construction Execution Plan and ensures the integration of the needs into the Project Execution Plan as approved by the Project Director/Project Manager.
- Develops an organization chart and staffing plan for all site personnel and recommends personnel by name to fill the positions. Obtains approval for all recommended personnel from the Vice President - Project Operations and, for support personnel, from the applicable department heads.
- Is familiar with and uses the organization's corporate policies and the project operations department procedures and practices as a required guide in performing the assigned duties.
- Organizes, directs and drives the Constructability Program at the outset of planning in accord with company policy as a way to achieve project schedule and goals.
- Ascertains the tool and equipment needs of the project through subordinates. Directs and coordinates the preparation of the Tool and Equipment Schedule. Provides the schedule to procurement for their implementation.
- Establishes and implements a plan and a schedule for construction temporary facilities. Directs the preparation of requisitions for materials and services.
- Develops a Front End Schedule for the establishment of temporary facilities and early direct work. Reviews with and obtains approval from the Project Director/Project Manager.
- Directs the preparation of a schedule of site issued reports and site input to other reports as required by contract and company policy and makes subordinate assignments for preparation of the reports. Reviews all reports prior to issue.
- Directs the establishment of a Site Instructions and Procedure Manual by the assigned Chief Construction Engineer in accordance with company policy.
- Ensures the timely issue of a site Safety Plan, Quality Plan, Inspection and Testing Plan, Labor Relations Plan, and Materials Management Plan, by the appropriate managers, assuring that all meet project and code requirements.
- Ensures the timely issue of a Project Control Plan by the assigned Project Control Manager to control and track project construction schedule and costs at to meet project reporting requirements.
- Provides for and coordinates the site facilities required by the material management plan, including the selected logistical control system and storage and lay-down facilities. Advises the Procurement Manager of the hours and days the site will be open for deliveries for incorporation into Project Shipping Instructions to vendors.
- Establishes the jobsite work week, work hours and starting and quitting times as required by contract, the schedule or other considerations. Reviews with and obtains approval of Project Director/Project Manager.
- Ensures that a Pre-Job Mark-Up conference for the purpose of establishing the craft jurisdictions of the work is held with the building and construction trades and ensures that the company respects the established jurisdictions between the building and construction trades.
- Reviews the safety performance of site operations and make changes and adjustments to meet the requirements. Notifies the Safety Director and Project Director/Project Manager of all accidents and safety events, as required by company policy.
- Manages and controls the site schedule through subordinates. Reviews the schedule and progress with assigned Project Control Manager and Project Director/Project Manager. Identifies changes and the impact of changes.
- Ensures that progress evaluations of the work are conducted in a timely manner, in accordance with company policies, and that the progress evaluation methods used properly account for the full project work scope including all work requirements, deliverables, inspection and punch list work.
- Reviews the earned value report and weekly progress with subordinates. Points out progress and productivity shortfalls. Understands the reasons for progress shortfalls. Identifies change impacts. Requires adjustments to resources and outputs. Assigns individual subordinate responsibility.
- Participates in periodic Risk Reviews with Project Director/Project Manager. Identifies risks to cost, schedule, quality, safety, and price.
- Provides written notice of changes to customer, as required under the contract, for changes requested by the client at site. Consults with and obtains direction from the Project Director/Project Manager whenever possible.
- Performs other duties as assigned by management.
- Performs the duties and responsibilities of Project Manager when directed to do so by Vice President - Project Operations for construction only projects.
- Provides performance evaluations of top tier managers and key personnel on the construction team; reviews and approves the performance evaluations of other team personnel that are performed by subordinates.
- Accepts temporary assignments to site location or to home office locations.
Skills / Qualifications
- Leadership ability and leadership skills.
- Team builder skills.
- Planning and organizational skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; listens and gets clarification.
- Leads by example; takes responsibility for own actions; exhibits confidence in self and others.
- Delegates work assignments by matching the responsibilities to the capabilities of the personnel; effectively follows-up and provides support.
- Ability to read and analyze reports and graphs.
- Understands the business implications of decisions.
- Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner.
- Treats people with respect; works with integrity and ethically.
- Solicits and applies customer feedback (internal and external).
- Follows through on commitments; meets goals.
- Willing to doing what it takes to reach goals.
- Effectively manages day-to-day activities of project team members and communicates changes and progress.
- Provides regular performance feedback to subordinates.
- Modular Construction Experience
- Brownfield and greenfield experience
- Able to produce construction studies for early project phase
- Strategic thinker - ability to strategise and present strategy to senior management and client
- Familiar with digitisation to maximum extent possible to aid construction efficiency
- Drive constructability and other discipline inputs to enable convincing construction execution methodology
- Able to advise on construction techniques and optimization methods
- Able to engage with suppliers, third parties and sub-contractors to develop optimized strategy
Education and Experience Requirements:
Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Construction Management or Business is preferred. Experience via assignments or supervisory responsibility in most areas, including field engineering, project control, quality control, administration of contracts and subcontracts, craft supervision, field superintendence, safety, labor relations, maintenance, turnarounds and outages, commissioning and other applicable positions and functions. Knowledge and familiarity with the methods, practices, crafts, tools, equipment, codes, documents, drawings, specifications, requirements, functions and control systems of the engineering and construction business. Overall, a minimum of 20 years experience in the process and/or utility/power construction industry.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is frequently required to sit and stand in the office and move about the work area. In addition, it may require close vision work and travel away from home, sometimes for extended periods. The position requires the ability to walk about a construction site or operating plant or power station and the ability to climb stairs or ladders and walk on elevated plant platforms. The position requires the ability to wear and use personal protective equipment while in the work area of the jobsite, including helmet, fall protection harness, respirator, safety glasses/goggles, escape breathing device, noise protection, fire-retardant coveralls and protective work boots and gloves.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.