Skills: Laboratory Ops / Tech, QA / QC / Inspection, Materials Management
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Surrey, British Columbia, Canada
Overview / Responsibilities
Make an impression in an international company among the 25 best employers in Canada and ranked #1 International Design Firm by Engineering News Record. Wood Environment & Infrastructure Solutions is a global organization, providing engineering, consulting and project management services. Our team of professionals offers a full range of services to clients in a wide range of sectors including government, industrial & commercial, water, transportation, minerals & metals, oil & gas and clean energy.
We are currently seeking a Civil Materials Laboratory Supervisor to join our team in Surrey, BC.
The Surrey laboratory provides materials testing and geotechnical services to a wide variety of markets such as Government, Industrial, Transportation, and Infrastructure. This is an opportunity to be involved in a range of technically challenging projects and be part of a growing and motivated team.
- Lead and grow a team of technicians and technologists
- Supervise the day-to-day operations of field and laboratory testing of soil / concrete / asphalt
- Assist with scheduling and coordinating the activities of material technical staff, assessing resources and allocating work to meet priorities
- Responsible for lab safety, lab certification, preparing for lab audits, maintaining lab equipment, maintaining quality control and ensuring timely execution of lab tests
- Review lab and field test results and reports to ensure standards of quality and accuracy are met
- Perform lab and field tests as required
- Business development efforts with civil materials testing focus for various clients and sectors which includes preparing proposals for lab and field work
- Manage and deliver high quality projects safely, on-time, within budget and to the satisfaction of the client
Skills / Qualifications
- Civil Technology Diploma and eligibility for registration with Applied Science Technologists & Technicians of BC (ASTTBC)
- A minimum of five years' experience in construction QA / QC testing and inspection
- Experience with CCIL Laboratory Accreditations
- Experience performing standard CSA and ASTM tests on soil, concrete and asphalt
- Experience coaching and developing junior staff
- Strong understanding of the local marketplace coupled with experience in the preparation of proposals for provision of lab and field work services.
- Excellent organization skills and ability to multi-task
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English
- Demonstrate the ability to make quick decisions requiring sound judgment and experience
- Must have sound knowledge of laboratory tests, field testing and inspection
- Pleasant manner and positive experience in dealing with clients
- Valid drivers license
- Must pass physical, background check and must have a satisfactory driving record
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.