About the opportunity
You will work on a range of multidisciplinary projects, supporting specialists and contribute to the safe design, implementation and management of land quality assessment (including investigation of contaminated land and soil/groundwater remediation works). You will be required to liaise and work within teams of varying size and complexity.
The principal function of this position is to undertake project work involving elements of geo-environmental investigation, monitoring, remediation and design, providing input as part of both large and small multi-disciplinary teams, or working independently on a particular project.
Under the supervision of a project manager, and after receiving health and safety training, you will be tasked to:
- Support or lead field investigations overseeing drilling activities and other contractors, undertaking sampling of groundwater, surface water, soil, gas, etc.
- Manage technical equipment (e.g., quality, calibration) ensuring field supplies are maintained at all times
- Support and oversee remediation work, e.g., excavation, in-situ treatment, etc. including conducting basic operation, maintenance of remediation treatment units, and tracking of delivery and work completion (quality, scope, budget)
- Develop workplans, field instructions and health & safety plans, under supervision, in support of for field works
- Undertake Phase I Desk Study assessments of land contamination sites, under supervision
- Assist in preparation of specifications for ground investigations and potentially remediation works then assist in the procurement process
- Data analysis, evaluation and interpretation for reports and presentations
- Prepare reports including description of fieldworks and methods, collation of data into tables, preparation of figures, etc.
- Manage data (e.g., field, testing and analytical data) in databases and using specialized software (e.g., ArcGIS, EQuIS, gINT, etc.)
The successful candidate will be required to demonstrate the following:
- Degree in Geology/Environmental Sciences/Chemistry or related discipline and preferably also an MSc/PhD in a relevant subject area
- 1-2+ years' experience in land contamination consulting desirable
- Willingness to develop technical skills and to tackle new challenges both within Ireland, the UK and internationally.
- Fundamental understanding of environmental industry and regulations
- Ability to and interest in travelling to support fieldworks on average 50-70% of time (sometimes for a week or more at a time) within Northern Ireland and potentially internationally
- Competence and experience with computers and business software (Word, Excel, etc.); an asset if experience with drawing or technical software (gINT, ArcGIS, etc.)
- Strong technical and numerical skills; a problem solver and analytical thinker
- Enthusiastic and highly motivated while also a team player
- A Global Mindset and demonstrated ability to work across cultures and remotely with our Global Integrated Delivery teams
We clear the way for inventive thinking so you have the support, means and space to deliver the boldest solutions for the extraordinary and every day. Jacobs. A world where you can. Our Culture:
We're invested in you and your success. Our values stand on a foundation of safety, integrity, inclusion and diversity. We put people at the heart of our business and we truly believe that by supporting one another through our culture of caring, we all succeed. We value positive mental health and a sense of belonging for all employees.
We aim to make inclusion and diversity core attributes of our identity, embedded in all our employment and business practices in all locations. We know that if we are inclusive, we're more connected, and if we are diverse, we're more creative.
Jacobs partners with VERCIDA to help us attract and retain diverse talent. For greater online accessibility please visit www.vercida.co.uk to view and access our roles.
As a Disability Confident employer, we will interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy. We welcome applications from candidates who are seeking flexible working and from those who may not meet all the listed requirements for a role.
If you have any queries regarding the application process, please contact the team here .
Successful candidates will be asked to complete a Baseline Personnel Security Standard Pre-Employment check and will be required to undergo various checks including: Identity, Right to Work; Employment/Education History and Criminal Record. If you are unable to meet this and any associated criteria, then your employment may be delayed or rejected.