Skills: Waste Management
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Shrewsbury, England, United Kingdom
Wood are currently recruiting for an exciting opportunity within our Environment & Infrastructure Europe business for a consultant with a background in an environmental science or similar and an interest in working in the environmental sector as a consultant. Primarily supporting our waste and recycling collection and treatment work with local authorities both within the UK and overseas (including the middle east), government clients (including WRAP) and industry, the successful candidate will be involved in all aspects of the teams work. The main focus will be on researching, data gathering, analysing complex data sets and modelling waste strategies and services and waste/resource flows.
The candidate will be required to manage discrete tasks, with the aim of supporting multiple projects from initial bidding through to completion.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Undertake data gathering and research from a range of sources, analysing, critiquing, formatting and validating for use in modelling and other applications to support waste management projects;
- To prepare modelling and analysis outputs to a high level of quality assurance for use in project reports, presentations etc. focussing on clarity and simplicity of presentation a range of technical and non-technical audiences;
- Support the evaluation of procurement bids, using robust evidence and well-reasoned written arguments to underpin operational and financial assessments;
- Develop efficient methodologies to solve problems and communicate these clearly and concisely through contributions to proposals for new work and project progression;
- Understand project work sequences to contribute the delivery of projects;
- Develop existing waste models to maintain effectiveness in line with changes in legislation and client requirements;
- Organise, attend, contribute to and take actions from multi-disciplinary meetings with suppliers and clients, acting as Woods technical representative;
- Prepare project and technical reports, including progress reports;
- Provide support to the specialism in a range of ways; and
- Contribute to other waste management projects.
Skills / Qualifications
- Relevant post-graduate experience of the waste management environment
- An understanding of waste and recycling management systems
- Understanding of waste legislation and policy in the UK
- Experience in the procurement of waste management services
- Experience of working with Officers and elected members at a senior level
- An understanding of local authority governance, pressures, constraints and opportunities
- An understanding of waste strategies and the options available to implement them
- Experience of analysing operational and financial data to identify and understand the root causes of issues, and develop effective solutions
- Modelling of waste collection services, understanding the processes, inputs, calculations and outputs, supported by excellent numerical, data handling and spreadsheet skills using Microsoft Excel
- High levels of written and verbal communication skills and confident in the delivery of presentations
- Ability to deal proactively with senior colleagues
- Excellent time management skills, including the ability to respond to requests for outputs at short notice. An ability to innovate and tailor solutions to meet evolving requirements is critical to the role
- Experience across WCA and WDA functions or close involvement in WDA work acquired through joint working, partnership activities or project-specific activities
- Experience of working within a technical consultancy environment or within a client organisation involving direct contact with consultants or consultancy projects
- Experience of working within a private sector waste services company supporting the provision of services to local government and private sector customers
- Experience in applying Circular Economy business models
- First degree in a relevant subject, expected to be in the field of science, environment or engineering
- UK driving licence
- Second degree in a relevant subject, expected to be in the field of science, environment or engineering
- Chartered status with a relevant organisation (eg CIWM, SocEnv)
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.