MPD/UBD Control System Technician (CST) / Data Acquisition JOB SUMMARY:
- Set up Automated MPD System Control System at wellsite. Run all electrical and communication cables from the back-pressure pump, hydraulic chokes, pressure transmitters and Coriolis flow meter to the controlling PLC and the HMI computer. Install and maintain communication with the rig WITS.
- Constantly monitor the control system to maintain constant bottom hole pressure while drilling and watching for any signs of an influx. Manipulate the system and tune as needed to maintain smooth operations and react quickly to any rig or equipment failure.
- Keep open a line of communication with the driller to verify any changes that are seen on the MPD monitors such as pressures and flow rates and react according to procedure.
- Calculate correction factors and pressure changes involved to maintain a constant ECD while drilling and during connections or any pumps off event.
- Fingerprint and calibrate the system before drilling. Maintain fingerprinting data, daily operation logs and safety paperwork. Write JSA's and Permit to Work sheets and maintain on location. Update and revise MPD drilling procedures as needed.
- Trouble shoot and rebuild back pressure pumps on location. Monitor, trouble shoot and repair the hydraulic actuated MPD chokes as needed during operations along with the hydraulic power unit and valves. Tear down and rebuild equipment and electrical components in the shop and test the packages before load out.
- Train and teach new employees and transfer how to operate and maintain the MPD package
- Interface Automated MPD with various data acquisition systems.
- Carry out constant monitoring of equipment on site/location, maintain and calibrate on the job as required
- Perform diagnostics, trouble shoot, repair and maintain essential inventory and replacement parts for MPD Control System, instrumentation, and flow controls
- Proven ability to work in a team environment.
- Mobile and will to work irregular hours in a field environment.
- Demonstrates a keen insight for the Control System for Managed Pressure Drilling and Early Kick Detection.
- A technical diploma degree in mechanical/petroleum or related field preferred, however, the equivalent in industry experience will be considered.
- Control System/DAQ Training Certificate
- 3 years minimum experience as a Control System Technician / DAQ Engineer in MPD/UBD Operations, especially in Saudi Arabia or Middle East.
- Preferred Valid IADC Well Sharp Certificate
- Understanding of PLC control systems.
- Understanding of interfacing protocols i.e. WITS and OPC
With over 90 years' combined experience, NES Fircroft (NES) is proud to be the world's leading engineering staffing provider spanning the Oil & Gas, Power & Renewables, Infrastructure, Life Sciences, Mining, Automotive and Chemicals sectors worldwide.With more than 100 offices in 45 countries, we are able to provide our clients with the engineering and technical expertise they need, wherever and whenever it is needed. We offer contractors far more than a traditional recruitment service, supporting with everything from securing visas and work permits, to providing market-leading benefits packages and accommodation, ensuring they are safely and compliantly able to support our clients.