Skills: Electrical Engineering
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States
Wood performs consulting and EPCM services for multiple industries including Mining & Minerals, Power & Energy and Infrastructure, executing world-class projects for many power generation and power distribution companies.
Wood currently has an exciting opportunity for an Electrical Engineer, Substations - Intermediate. Reporting to the Engineering Manager, this position is located in our Los Angeles, CA office . This role encompasses substation engineering design on a variety of Western United States based projects, including 12 kV to 500 kV electrical substation design . If you have a successful track record and thrive on challenges in a fast paced environment, this is the opportunity for you.
- Leading projects from conception stage through construction
- Assisting the management team by preparing and planning project scope and change notices
- Assisting Business Development team by preparing scope of work, engineering budgets and schedules for proposals and estimates
- Working with a team of engineers, designers, and drafters in the design for 12kV to 500 kV electrical substations, including all deliverables for substation layouts, grounding and station services
- Coordinating multidisciplinary engineering activities with protection & control (P&C), telecom, transmission, distribution, civil and structural
- Participating in client design and constructability review meetings
- Evaluating equipment for suitability as per site and standard requirements
- Enhancing and maintaining relationships with internal groups and external contractors and clients
- Traveling and visiting client sites and offices during project definition, detailed design and construction
- Checking specifications, drawings and test reports to ensure high quality design
- Ensuring the latest safe practices and methods are integrated into the design
- Coordinating with installation and commissioning activities with the utility and subcontractors
- Responding to information requests from construction and ensuring project documentation is completed
- Leading and mentoring junior staff
- Monitoring budgets and schedules
Skills / Qualifications
- Electrical Engineering Degree from a recognized university along with a California Professional Engineering License (PE)
- Minimum 5 years of electrical engineering experience designing substations
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- 3-8 years of demonstrated experience working with engineers, designers, and drafters
- General understand of non-electrical disciplines such as civil, structural, and mechanical for coordination purposes
- Southern California Edison experience is considered an asset
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.