Skills: Electrical Engineering, Instrument & Controls Engineer
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Los Angeles, California, United States
Wood performs consulting and EPCM services for multiple industries including Mining & Minerals, Power & Energy and Infrastructure, executing world-class projects for many power generation and power distribution companies.
Wood currently has exciting opportunities for a Intermediate Protection & Control Engineer. Reporting to the Engineering Manager, this position is located in our Los Angeles, CA office . If you have a successful track record and thrive on challenges in a fast paced environment, this is the opportunity for you.
- Leading design of protection, control and metering systems for electrical substations of 12 to 500 kV from conceptual stage through construction and commissioning
- Assisting the management team by preparing and planning project scope and change notices
- Assisting Business Development team by preparing scope of work, engineering budgets and schedules for proposals and estimates
- Developing protection planning and application documents, one-lines, schematics, panel layouts and wiring diagrams for power system protective relaying and metering systems
- Performing protection coordination studies and relay settings for high voltage utility transmission systems
- Preparing and reviewing drawing lists, engineering documents, specifications, construction and outage staging plans, and inspection and testing plans/procedures
- Assisting Business Development team by preparing protection and control technical scope of work, engineering budgets and schedules for proposals and estimates
- Leading a team of engineers and designers to develop efficient, safe and constructible design solutions for brownfield and greenfield substation projects at conceptual, feasibility and early engineering stages
- Reviewing design documentation with the Owner's Engineer to ensure the design satisfies the project's requirements
- Reviewing of vendor documents against specifications
- Reviewing/preparing material take-offs for all protection & control equipment, as well as ordering materials through the procurement group
- Performing factory inspections of protection & control equipment
- Coordinating construction and commissioning activities with clients and subcontractors
- Responding to information requests from construction sites and leading project closeout documentation, including as-builts, calculations and returning data to clients
- Participating in client technical, Safety by Design and constructability review meetings
- Traveling and visiting client sites during various project stages
- Enhancing and maintaining relationships with internal groups as well as external contractors and clients
- Mentoring junior engineers
- Monitoring budgets and schedules
Skills / Qualifications
- Electrical Engineering Degree from a recognized university along with a California Professional Engineering License (PE)
- Minimum 5 years of protection, control and metering experience in a Transmission and Distribution Utility or EPC organization designing substations
- 3-8 years of experience in performing protection coordination studies and relay settings
- Proven working experience of relay setting software such as ASPEN, and/or CAPE, EasyPower as well as SEL and GE relay protection systems
- Experience interfacing design with other substation engineering disciplines such electrical and telecom.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proven field experience with outage planning, construction sequencing and commissioning is considered an asset
- Familiarity with utility protection and control maintenance and operational practices is considered an asset
- Southern California Edison experience is considered an asset
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.