Learn morePosition Specific Description
We are seeking very capable individuals wishing to marry their strong passion and aptitude for the leading edge of data science with a desire to expand the promise of innovation and renewable energy.
The successful candidate will bring to bear considerable academic credentials and a deep portfolio of experiences. The role reports directly to the Director of Enterprise Data Science & AI Strategy for NextEra and, as such, the Sr. Data Scientist is expected to serve as a thought leader and play a key role in envisioning, developing, and deploying the data science and AI solutions that help NextEra continue to be recognized as the most innovative and successful renewable energy company in the world.
A successful candidate will be comfortable in a fluid, entrepreneurial and very high paced environment, but one that is focused on developing reusable software applications, not bespoke analytical solutions. We look for problem solvers with a history of demonstrated excellence.
Our team is focused on building successful careers. As such, the successful candidate will have an opportunity to participate in a myriad of projects and career shaping experiences working along-side some of most innovative minds in Energy.Preferred Experience:
- Developing data models and algorithms best suited to a particular scenario
- A self-starter: you have started something on your own before -- an open-source project, a new project within a company, a start-up, or something else.
- Exceptional computational background (e.g., developed new algorithms and/or has a relevant PhD).
- Exceptional business background (e.g., managing client relationships on technical projects)
- Assessing effectiveness of the data model
- Using different data gathering techniques
- Keep up-to-date with latest technology trends
- Use modeling to improve customer experience by optimizing work schedules and events
- Develop processes and/or tools to monitor model performance and accuracy
- Extending company's data with third party sources of information when needed
- Processing, cleansing, and verifying the integrity of data used for analysis
- Doing ad-hoc analysis and presenting results in a clear manner
- Communicate results and ideas to key decision makers
Preferred Qualifications and Technologies:
- Experience with Machine Learning techniques (classification, regressions, feature selection, etc.)
- Experience with natural language processing and computer vision tasks leveraging deep learning techniques (tensorflow, pytorch)
- Programming skills that allow you to be self-sufficient in handling data (Python, SQL, Scala, Java)
- Experience with large datasets, distributed computing, and cloud-based environments (Hive/Hadoop, Spark, AWS, SageMaker)
- Experience with statistical tools, packages, libraries (R / Spark / H2O.ai / scikit-learn)
- Knowledge of statistical techniques and concepts
- Present information using data visualization techniques
This position is responsible for developing algorithms, modeling techniques, and optimization methods that support many aspects of NextEra and FPL business. Employees in this role use knowledge of machine learning, optimization, statistics, and applied mathematics along with abilities in software engineering with a focus on distributed computing and data storage infrastructure (i.e., "Big Data").Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Develops machine learning, optimization and other modeling solutions
- Prepares comprehensive documented observations, analyses and interpretations of results including technical reports, summaries, protocols and quantitative analyses
- Works with big data and distributed computing platforms
- Develops software and contributes to product development
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned
- Bachelor's Degree
- Experience: 5+ years
- Master's Degree
- Doctoral Degree
Science, Research, and Technology
Florida Power & Light Company
Juno Beach, Florida
Other Work Locations:
Yes, if applicable
NextEra Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, age, national origin, religion, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetics, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace.
If you require special support or accommodation while seeking employment with NextEra Energy, please send an e-mail to email@example.com
, providing your name, telephone number and the best time for us to reach you. Alternatively, you may call 1-844-694-4748. Please do not use this line to inquire about your application status.
NextEra Energy will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information.
NextEra Energy does not
accept any unsolicited resumes or referrals from any third-party recruiting firms or agencies
. Please see our policy
for more information.Nearest Major Market:
Nearest Secondary Market: