Start your Jacobs career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed - today and into tomorrow.
Our Critical Mission Solutions business - we are invested in you and your success. Everything we do - whether Aerospace, Defence, Intelligence, Information Technology, Cybersecurity, Nuclear, Automotive, or Telecommunications - is more than just a project. It is our challenge as human beings, too. That is why we bring a thoughtful and collaborative approach to every one of our partnerships.
It is our promise to challenge the status quo as we redefine how to solve the world's greatest challenges and transform big ideas into intelligent solutions for a more connected, sustainable world. About the opportunity:
Jacobs Nuclear is the Design and Engineering partner for Sellafield under the PPP (Programme and Project Partners). This is a 20-year arrangement to deliver ~£7bn of major projects. We are looking to recruit high value expertise from across regulated and comparable sectors to work in a collaborative environment. PPP is delivering major projects, site wide improvements and provision of supporting services.
Jacobs Nuclear provides the front end design and engineering capability across the PPP portfolio. Being part of the PPP Team offers a unique opportunity to drive change and innovation in engineering, safety and delivery solutions in one of the most complex industrial sites in the UK if not the world. We are looking for people who are passionate about developing themselves and in meeting new challenges.
As a result of increasing demand for our services, there are significant opportunities for you to support a key project within the nuclear business.
We are currently looking for a Senior Mechanical Engineer position to join the team in Birchwood.
- Provision of leading technical expertise valued by clients, being a recognised authority in specialised areas and maintaining 'front edge' capability in developing techniques and standards within area of expertise
- Provision of cost effective engineering solutions and high quality customer service
- Producing and submitting proposals for new work within area of expertise
- Proactively providing mentoring and training for staff as required for the benefit of the project and business
- Maintaining and developing customer relationships, through reputation, knowledge, experience and excellent delivery, to encourage follow on and new work within the skill area, to promote future business
- Planning and estimating of piping engineering work packages;
- Production/coordination of piping engineering deliverables in accordance with relevant regulations, codes, standards and Client quality assurance requirements;
- Supervise the use of project piping material specification, piping design standards, technical design instructions and discipline work practices / procedures;
- Oversee Piping bulk material aspects, bulk take-offs, quantification, allocation and manipulation of a material management system. Managing line lists and valve schedules;
- Review and check vendor document / information for compliance with project specifications;
- Assist in the design/specification of pipe supports;
- Attending and contributing to design / HAZOP and construction reviews;
- Provision of specified services to internal/external customers to agreed standards
- To carry out designated work packages within defined projects to standards of safety, cost, quality and time
- Assists in the management of projects, setting standards for the team which reflect good and safe practice, ensuring resource (financial and people) and information allocations are sufficient to complete specified tasks
- Where appropriate, contribute to the development of budgetary procedures, specifications and safety documentation
- Freedom of action to make independent decisions but within well established and clearly defined policies and procedures with regular reference upwards.
- Compliance with all legislative, regulatory and company policy, standards and procedures e.g. safety, quality, risk, security etc. applicable to the role
- Provide advice and guidance on issues to the Mechanical Design Team
- Active involvement in improvement initiatives/projects
- To ensure the Design Intent is met for the design packages produced
- To identify major technical uncertainties and provide suitable solutions and advice
- To organise, supervise, monitor and develop the team to ensure effective outputs
- To integrate and communicate effectively with other disciplines such as Safety, CS&A, Process, HVAC, Construction and Commissioning teams
- Experience and a high standard of application of engineering to provide solutions to unique challenges in the engineering fields associated with nuclear and related systems
- Knowledge of engineering standards, materials and equipment, and engineering developments, including manufacturing and construction issues, within areas of expertise
- Proven track record, demonstrating the ability to manage design packages
- Knowledge of national and international codes, specifications and standards
- Design fundamentals, PUWER, CDM, LOLER regulations
- Familiar with DM Desktop and Cimage, Registration of Drawings and procedures/processes
- Knowledge of PDMS and Inventor software advantageous
- Development of designs against Safety Case requirements and Engineering Design Safety Principles
- Understanding of Pipe Specifications and piping design advantageous
- Experience in the nuclear industry would be preferred. Willing to work for a variety of customers and to work on client premises as required
- Experience of design delivery using the Sellafield Ltd Management System preferred
- Application of Pipework Codes including BS EN 13480, BS 806, ASME B31.3;
- Piping fitness for service assessment;
- Pipework repair details;
- Reduced wall thickness calculations;
- Vessel nozzle checks;
- Material selection;
- Design/specification of pipe supports;
- Production of piping manufacturing isometrics and material lists;
- Vibration analysis;
- Pipe stressing calculation (not essential);
- Use of CAESAR II Stress Analysis software (not essential).
- Degree qualified or equivalent (eg HNC/HND with significant experience) in relevant engineering discipline with extensive design experience
- Chartered Status or working towards
We clear the way for inventive thinking so you have the support, means and space to deliver the boldest solutions for the extraordinary and every day. Jacobs. A world where you can.
We clear the way for inventive thinking, so you have the support, means and space to deliver the boldest solutions for the extraordinary and every day. Jacobs. A world where you can. Our Culture:
We're invested in you and your success. Our values stand on a foundation of safety, integrity, inclusion and diversity. We put people at the heart of our business and we truly believe that by supporting one another through our culture of caring, we all succeed. We value positive mental health and a sense of belonging for all employees.
We aim to make inclusion and diversity core attributes of our identity, embedded in all our employment and business practices in all locations. We know that if we are inclusive, we're more connected, and if we are diverse, we're more creative.
Jacobs partners with VERCIDA to help us attract and retain diverse talent. For greater online accessibility please visit www.vercida.co.uk to view and access our roles.
As a Disability Confident employer, we will interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for a vacancy. We welcome applications from candidates who are seeking flexible working and from those who may not meet all the listed requirements for a role.
If you have any queries regarding the application process, please contact the team here .
Successful candidates will be asked to complete a Baseline Personnel Security Standard Pre-Employment check and will be required to undergo various checks including: Identity, Right to Work; Employment/Education History and Criminal Record. If you are unable to meet this and any associated criteria, then your employment may be delayed or rejected.