Skills: Regulatory Compliance, Waste Management
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Overview / Responsibilities
Are you looking to take your career in water resource management to the next level? Are you passionate about applying your skills to developing sustainable solutions to water resources challenges for high profile projects both in the UK and internationally? We are seeking to appoint a talented, enthusiastic and committed water resources modeller to manage and support a range of projects undertaken by our Water management team and lead the development of our water resources modelling team's capability.
Wood's Water Management team, within our Environment and Consents Business Unit, work across a wide range of services bringing together a wealth of staff knowledge and experience in water resources, hydrogeology, water quality, catchment management, hydroecology, hydrology and flood risk. We make a difference to our clients, society and the planet by providing high quality technical services and advice in the UK and internationally to government departments and agencies, IFI's, the water industry, and a wide range of other industrial sectors including power, transport, nuclear, mining, commercial and oil and gas.
As a skilled water resources modeller you will play a lead role in our water resources team and will have technical, management and commercial responsibilities. You will manage and lead technical inputs to water resources projects delivered by our Water Management team and collaboratively across Wood. Key responsibilities include:
- Setting the strategy for the future development of our water resources modelling team.
- Leading water resources modelling projects that support the development of Water Resource Management Plans and Drought Plans for UK water companies.
- Development, customisation and the application of water resources system simulation models (e.g. Aquator, Pywr, MISER) for deployable output assessments, resilience assessments, water resources yield.
- The selection and application of advanced decision-making tools and risk-based planning methods from the EA guidelines and UKWIR methodologies.
- Supporting wider water resources projects such as rainfall runoff modelling and options assessments.
- Project management and acting as primary point of contact with our clients developing excellent professional relationships.
- Contributing to, and leading the preparation of winning proposals, and the development of new business influencing the future success of the wider team.
- Providing technical guidance, training and support to junior colleagues
- Playing a key role in growing Wood's technical capability, knowledge and innovation base to develop new services for our clients.
The level of responsibility and seniority of this role will be tailored to fit the right applicant.
Skills / Qualifications
Skills / Experience
- Extensive experience in water resources systems modelling, specifically in Aquator (but others such as Pwyr or MISER would be beneficial).
- Experience in water resources planning or water resources modelling as well as analysis through the skilled use of associated tools.
- Good understanding of the latest regulatory requirements of UK water resources management including the Water Resource Planning Guidelines.
- You should have practical project management experience, including management of project teams, and be comfortable managing challenging projects;
- Track record in developing new business through client relationships and proposal writing.
- You should have strong numerate and analytical skills, and be able to apply these to analysing problems and finding solutions to novel challenges.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to write high quality concise reports
- Valid UK Driving Licence
- You will have a relevant degree-level qualification, potentially with a further post-graduate qualification;
- You will have gained, or be working towards chartership with a relevant professional body;
- Demonstrable experience in water resources planning in consultancy, Water Company, Regulatory or Academic fields
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.