NextEra Energy Resources
is one of the largest wholesale generators of electric power and renewable energy from the wind and sun in North America.Position Specific DescriptionJob Overview
The principal duties of the Health Physics/Radwaste Technician occupation consist of performing radiation contamination and airborne radiation surveys, analyzing results using appropriate health physics equipment, collecting environmental samples, processing and shipping radioactive waste, and performing other special analyses as required.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Perform surveys to determine radiation and contamination level, airborne particulate and gaseous radioactivity levels in accordance with plant procedures and government regulations
- Measure, keep records and administer radiation protection procedures for protection of all personnel, including personnel decontamination, recommending immediate action to limit spread of contamination where and when radiation limits exceed regulatory requirements
- Package contaminated clothing and equipment and health physics generated waste and insure an inventory of clothing, material, parts and supplies
- Keep records and perform functional calibration of radiation detection and counting room equipment used in their everyday work and interpret results of tests and checks
- Participate in the development of operations and maintenance manuals for start-up, operations and shutdowns of the plant
- Keep the Radiation Protection Engineer and Shift Licensing Operating Engineer informed as to normal and emergency plant operating conditions and results of surveys as required
- Knowledgeable in Technical Specifications, quality control, operation, maintenance, emergency procedures and NRC requirements
- Perform routine chemistry analysis as follows: conductivity silica, chlorides, PH factor on reactor water
- PH and chlorine residual of circulating water and collection of chemistry particulate/iodine filters, sensor checks and neutralizing tank discharge sampling
- Operate Radwaste process equipment for elimination of radiation waste through packaging, compaction and solidification in accordance with plant procedures and government regulations
- Collect samples of resin, trash and other radioactive material for delivery to Chemistry
- Package for shipping and storing radioactive waste, loading for off-site shipment
- Perform their personal Health Physics requirements as needed
- Perform requirements of DAEC environmental monitoring program
- Perform peer inspections including quality control inspection of one employee's work by another qualified employee within the same classification
Preferred QualificationEmployee Group:
- Candidate must pass the TECH (Technical Occupational Selection System) test
- Applicant must have three years of Radiation Protection experience in the field and one year needs to be at a nuclear facility
- Graduate of Navy Nuclear Training Program or
- Completion of INPO Accredited Program in the Health Physics area of specialization or
- AS Degree in Health Physics or
- College Courses as follows:
- Enough college level math that a college will allow you to enroll in Calculus
- One semester of college level Physics
- One semester of college level Chemistry (lab not required)
- Candidate must gain unescorted access to the nuclear plant as required by Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) and Nuclear Site.
Craft Skilled/ Journey Level
NextEra Energy Seabrook, LLC
Seabrook, New Hampshire
Other Work Locations:
NextEra Energy is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to race, color, age, national origin, religion, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetics, disability, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law. We are committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace.
If you require special support or accommodation while seeking employment with NextEra Energy, please send an e-mail to email@example.com
, providing your name, telephone number and the best time for us to reach you. Alternatively, you may call 844-694-4748. Please do not use this line to inquire about your application status.
NextEra Energy will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information.
NextEra Energy does not
accept any unsolicited resumes or referrals from any third-party recruiting firms or agencies
. Please see our policy
for more information.
#LI-MT1Nearest Major Market:
Nuclear, Power Plant, Energy