Skills: Mechanical Engineering
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Masters Degree
Location: Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Wood is currently seeking Intermediate Mechanical Engineers in anticipation of a project win in Russia to join our Mining & Minerals team in Oakville, Ontario who will apply extensive and comprehensive knowledge of mechanical engineering principles and practices to the organization's products and services. The Engineers will plan, schedule and assign/supervise or conduct broad and/or technically complex engineering assignments requiring judgment, independent evaluation, selection and significant adaptation and deviation from standard techniques and procedures.
- Conceptual, preliminary and final design of process mining equipment and bulk material handling systems including ship, barge, rail and truck loading and unloading systems comprised of big storage bins, hoppers, belt conveyors, drag conveyors, bucket elevators, crushers, screens, apron feeders, agglomeration facilities and mobile conveying equipment, dust control systems and various specialty equipment components.
- Select mechanical equipment that will best meet specific process requirements and conditions.
- Analyze designs for efficiency of construction, use of materials, functionality and practicality of design.
- Reviewing or preparing data and running design programs such as 'Sidewinder' for conveyor design, and DEM software for transfer points, and dust collection systems.
- Develop or alter standard project specifications to meet project specific design criteria.
- Defining and recommending design methods, specifications and performance of functional requirements.
- Establish project standards and assist in the development of the project design criteria.
- Undertaking or supervising the preparation of feasibility studies, trade off studies and design layouts.
- Support the equipment evaluation and procurement activities during project execution.
- Monitor and guide design/drafting tasks and oversee the internal checking required on all project drawings.
- Responsible to seal all drawings that have been prepared under their direction as required in jurisdiction where professional designation is recognized.
- Engineering support to installation, construction and commissioning teams with the occasional deployment as a commissioning resource when required.
- Be familiar with total project systems to include mechanical, structural, civil and electrical components to allow considerations of those aspects into a project or area design.
- Review and approve vendor/fabricator shop drawings.
- Collaborate with all other disciplines to interface large mechanical equipment packages and systems with civil works, structural steel, power supply, instrumentation and controls, and mechanical services.
- Interfacing with Piping Designers, Plant Layout Designers, Process, Civil, Structural, Electrical and Instrumentation Engineers is also critical for the success of a project.
- Lead mechanical engineer on a project; planning, managing and coordinating the material handling engineering activities on large and/or technically complex portion of a project and/or serve in an individual contributor role completing broadly defined and/or technically complex engineering assignments
- Coordinate the activities of a team of engineers assigned to a project and provide technical supervision of the day-to-day activities of task assigned personnel
- Coordinate and interface with equipment suppliers
- Give effective presentations to customers, suppliers and internally within the organization
- Work with and communicate with project management team
- Assure the technical quality of work performed by subordinates based upon organizational standards, codes and general knowledge of engineering principles and projects
- Consult with supervisor and other experts concerning unusual problems and develop and apply advanced techniques and methods as required
- Assure that all work on assigned projects is timely, accurate and high quality
- Perform other related duties as assigned by management
- Organize, plans, and coordinate own work as well as the resources assigned on a specific project
- Develop subordinates' skills and encourage growth; takes responsibility for subordinates' actions
Skills / Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree or Masters of Science in Mechanical Engineering
- At least 5 to 7 years of increasing responsibility and experience in the design and construction of bulk material handling and other mining process equipment and industrial facilities including detailed design and drafting of equipment in the minerals industry
- Experience selecting mechanical equipment components for bulk material handling systems including drives, bearings, pulleys, shafts, scales, and dust collection and suppression systems.
- Experience using design software such as 'Sidewinder' for conveyor design, and 'Newton' or 'Rocky' for discrete element modeling (DEM) of material flow.
- Experience in preparation of plant equipment arrangement drawings using Computer Aided Drafting and Design software is required.
- You will have experience leading and mentoring drafters, designers and junior Engineers and enjoy these responsibilities.
- Computer skills that include proficiency with Word, Excel, MathCad, and various analysis programs.
- Experience as a Mechanical Package Engineer in Mineral Mining projects will be an advantage
- Familiar with Russian Engineering Codes will be an asset
- *** This position is Permanent. Relocation assistance or living allowances will not be provided for this position. Candidate must live within reasonable commuting distance from Oakville, ON office or be willing to relocate and live in Oakville area at own expense
- Authorization to work lawfully in Canada without sponsorship from Wood is required
In accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and Accessibility of Ontarians with Disability Act, 2005, we are committed to meeting the needs of people with disabilities and will do so by preventing and removing barriers to accessibility in all parts of the hiring process. Reasonable accommodations will be provided when raised with the recruiter or by e-mailing.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.