Skills: Software Specialist
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Shrewsbury, England, United Kingdom
Do you have a keen interest in GIS, application development, remote sensing or web mapping and an enthusiasm for developing solutions to complex and challenging problems? Are you looking for the ideal launch pad for a rewarding and fulfilling career in sustainable infrastructure and environmental consultancy? If so, we are recruiting for a high-calibre Senior Consultant to join our team. This post could be based in either Shrewsbury, Bristol, London or Reading.
Our GIS and Spatial Analytics teams deliver a wide spectrum of services including application development; database development; mobile mapping; remote sensing; technology consulting; spatial analysis; and web mapping. Through our projects, we provide high quality technical services and advice to a wide range of high-profile customers in the UK and overseas, including government departments and agencies and other industrial sectors, including power, transport, nuclear, mining, commercial and oil and gas.
Our portfolio of clients in recent years has included: Azerbaijan Ministry for Ecology and Natural Resources; Caribbean Development Bank; DAERA Northern Ireland; EDF Energy; Environment Agency; Heathrow Airport Limited; Horizon Nuclear Power; High Speed 2 (HS2); Isle of Anglesey Council; National Grid; National Water and Sewerage Agency, Grenada; Transport of West Midlands; United Nations and the World Bank.
Prime Duties and Responsibilities
You will contribute to a diverse range of projects supporting clients across a range of sectors, including water and power utilities, property, transport, and government, both in the UK and overseas. Your work will be varied and challenging and will include the following:
- GIS analysis and modelling across a range of environmental and engineering sectors and clients;
- Developing desktop and cloud-based GIS workflows and tools;
- Creating and management of ESRI and open source web GIS solutions;
- Supporting and working with other GIS users within the company;
- Contributing to technical reports and presentations;
- Contributing to technical innovation and development; and
- Supporting wider business development and proposal activities.
We expect that the successful candidate will be home based until the current restrictions are lifted. This will require the successful candidate to be work collaboratively with Wood colleagues and clients using MS Teams. We are also currently evaluating our approaches to future flexible office/home working patterns.
As a company, we also offer a dynamic, but supportive environment for a motivated and talented individual to fulfil their potential. Wood recognises that their people are central to its success as a business. As a consequence, we are committed to a providing a comprehensive framework for the professional development of its staff, including:
- Access to extensive internal and external training opportunities;
- An Early Careers Network;
- A mentoring programme; and
- Support for gaining chartership through professional institutions.
Fairness, support in development and a safe work environment - these are all of great importance to us. Where people look out for each other, are respected and are recognised. Where people work ethically and safely. We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. We truly believe that diversity within our workplace promotes an incredible diversity of ideas. We are happy to consider applicants who are interested in the role on a part-time basis and support flexible working arrangements.
Skills / Qualifications
We are seeking a highly motivated individual with a high-level GIS, remote sensing, data management and web mapping skills; and who is capable and confident in applying these technical skills to a wide range of consultancy projects. We will shortlist candidates using the following qualification and experience criteria:
- A MSc degree-level qualification (or equivalent) in Geographical Information Systems (GIS) or Geomatics and ideally a minimum of 5 years related work experience;
- Advanced knowledge of ESRI ArcGIS, QGIS and/or FME analysis software;
- Ability to develop geoprocessing models and tools using ESRI Model Builder and/or QGIS Processing Modeller;
- Experience of creating web mapping solutions using ESRI or Open Source technology;
- Database management skills and experience - ideally with SQL Server, PostgreSQL or MS Access.
- Cloud computing experience using MS Azure or Amazon Web Services would be an advantage;
- Remote sensing and/or image processing skills applied to environmental applications;
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to collaborate effectively as part of a wider consultancy team;
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills, including being able to write high quality, concise reports;
- Willingness to undertake potential future short-term secondments either in the UK and/or overseas and;
- Experience in the use of MS Office 365 including Excel, Access, Word and PowerPoint.
All candidates selected for interview will be asked to present examples of their previous technical work.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.