In this role, you will be responsible to lead the civil engineering design work for assigned projects. Projects may include civil engineering related to coastal resiliency, flood mitigation, ports and maritime construction and/or restoration, dams, levees, pump/lift stations, floodwalls, gates, diversion canals and stormwater and/or maintenance dredging projects as well as site civil design (site drainage, utility design, grading plans, pavement design, etc.) for governmental agencies or other clients. Services provided will range from the concept level planning to the preparation of detailed engineering designs and construction plans and specifications as well as design construction administration. Overall responsibility of the position is to deliver the civil portion of the project under the design and construction budgets, on or ahead of schedule, while at the same time meeting quality expectations and delighting the client. Detailed responsibilities include the following:
- Assisting with sales pursuits including writing or reviewing sales narratives, attending presolicitation fact finding meetings, interfacing with client peer representative, assisting with the development of win themes, and presenting during selection interveiws.
- Preparing detailed work plans for the civil engineering portion of the project that outline design tasks to be performed and estimated hours needed to complete each task.
- Coordinating work plan and corresponding fee with the project manager and adjusting plan and fee to be competitive in the marketplace for the given type of project.
- Attending planning and design charrettes with entire design team and client team to define and plan projects.
- Conducting site visits and field surveys as necessary to assess and document field conditions.
- Preparing the Basis of Design for the project which includes listing all the relevant criteria and codes applicable to the design.
- Preparing calculations and technical reports or other narratives to support the development of projects.
- Completing full design calculations, engineering plans and specifications for bidding, permitting (as required) and construction.
- Bringing innovative ideas to the project team for the benefit of the client and/or company.
- Coordinating with and working directly with a variety of engineering disciplines, office/project staff, client and sub-contractors, throughout the project life cycle.
- Working effectively in team situations to establish strong relationships with the project team.
- Leading and directing a team of other civil engineers and designers assigned to the project as needed to complete the overall objectives for the civil design portion of the project.
- Monitoring regularly the progress of the project including scope, schedule, hours spent, and estimate to complete compared to the original work plan developed for the project and communicating variances with the project manager.
- Signing and sealing documents prepared under your charge and supervision.
- Attending civil discipline staffing meetings as well as Project Delivery Team (PDT) meetings and other meetings as needed to communicate technical activities in support of subject areas.
- Reviewing shop drawings and other technical submittals as well as answering RFIs during construction.
- Completing site visits to review construction progress as well as to completing a final punch list of deficient items for the construction contractor to correct.
- Documenting the project at completion including a brief narrative, lessons-learned and other relevant project details that can be used by sales to assist winning follow-on projects.
- Communicating clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing including a demonstrated ability to coordinate meetings, conduct effective client presentations and prepare written reports.
- Bachelors Degree in Civil Engineering.
- Professional Engineering (PE) licensure.
- At least 5 years of experience with civil works projects.
- Experience with coastal resilience and water resources projects.
- United States Citizenship.
Ideally, you'll also have:
- Experience delivering projects for USACE.
Join us and love what you do. Focus on tackling the toughest challenges with a smile as you support the development of life-changing infrastructure that improves communities across the country and the world. See the inherent value in your point of view as you deliver for our clients.